Equifax - rigmarole to get report

T199erT199er Forumite
12 Posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
After advice! I need to know if this is me overreacting.

I've applied online for an Equifax credit report. I had to go through a number of questions about financial activities over the past 6 years and think I might well have got my overdraft limit from an old joint account with an ex boyfriend wrong. I can't remember!!! We never used the facility!

The website then asked me to call up which I did and was asked to list all current accounts, credit cards, loads, HP etc for the past 6 years which was fun given I am at work!

I was then told I now need to mail them a photocopy of my passport!!!!!

I thought this was supposed to be instant online access! I don't have a complicated history, I've never lived abroad, I've always been registered correctly at my addresses.

Is this normal? Is this just what they do and I have to suck it up?

Replies

• izoolsizools Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    If you fail any of the security questions on the phone or online yes it is normal.

Equifax are at least looking after your identity - there have been reports of Call Credit's old "Call Credit Check" service being incredibly easy to access - e.g. little security when signing up and unfortunately led to a few people falling victim to identity theft.

Thankfully Equifax are protecting your data and ensuring you are you and not someone trying to steal your identity.

I know how difficult these Equifax things can be however as I have 57 historic accounts on my credit file (nearly all closed, most many years ago) and EE asked me questions about accounts from years past when taking out a phone contract - I literally had to make him wait whilst I loaded my credit report on my smartphone to check the answers I gave were correct :p
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • MoneyMateMoneyMate Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi went for the free 30 Day's trial, no problems at all. :beer:

BUT still waiting for my £20 Top Cash Back payment from January 2013 , Anybody else having problems ? :(
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • T199erT199er Forumite
    12 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ok, Thanks.

I could have understood if they asked me more questions but "list everything" seemed odd. Thankfully there wasn't that much.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals