NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Companies House - Help Needed urgently pls!!

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place, I couldnt see another suitable forum. Apologies if Im in the wrong thread, but I really need some help on behalf of a friend of mine. She has told me that her situation is this:

Husband starts his own company a year ago. He has been late a few times paying the mortgage and other bills, but he refuses to show me the finances.
A while ago, he asked me to sign a piece of paper for Companies House, and at the time I trusted him and didnt really know what it was for. So I signed.
For a while now we have been receiving letters from Companies house addressed to me, and I saw that one of them was a court summons. Husband hid it, refuses to tell me what it is for, and I have no idea what to do! Relationship is breaking down anyway, he is refusing to take me off of the companys house paperwork and Im really worried that this could affect my credit rating.
I have tried to research companies house online, I can see that its for filing returns, so perhaps the summons may be for late return. However I need to find out whether it could also be for something else??
I am listed as the Company Administrator. I am making an appointment with our citizens advice office tomorrow, but am worried that in the meantime I dont know what its all about, and what I could have got myself into.

Any advice or help would be so much appreciated. Many thanks.

Replies

• lvmlvm Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Phone Companies House.

My sister stupidly agreed to sign lots of business stuff for my Dad so she is director of who knows how many businesses.

Letter received yesterday she decided to open...threat of £5k fine for failure to file returns.

I'm not sure of logistics of doing this but might be worth looking into getting company struck off or something!!
  • tamsworldtamsworld Forumite
    33 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have just told her exactly what you have said and told her to get on the phone to companies house NOW, while husband is out at work!
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum