replace sealed unit or new double glazed windows

Options
some of my very very old (they were old when we moved in 15 years ago) double glazed windows have water inside and a couple are letting water into the room.
is it better just to pay more to replace windows and frames together?

we had one quote for just replacing the sealed units (not the frames)

salesman was pushing moneysaving but did not really convince me (not much info regarding the actual units involved).

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Depends on your priorities - I recently replaced two glass panes in my uPVC back door, cost me about £40 from a local glass firm, and took me about twenty minutes to fit. I'm now considering getting some other windows and the front door replaced, I don't expect much change from £2500.

New windows will be more efficient, the frames will be better sealed, etc etc - but they'll still never pay for themselves. Its hardly the same as the upgrade from single glazed to double glazed. I'm personally interested in upgrading my windows and doors for the additional comfort they'll provide, and the look for the house.
  • dj.boz
    dj.boz Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Just having my replacement windows (using the same old wooden frames) fitted today. A four bed detached house from the nineties (in the Midlands) at a cost of £1200, supplied and fitted.

Obviously would have been more beneficial to install some shiny new uPVC frames and stuff, but our frames need a little bit of TLC (and a brush of stain or paint) and they will be fine and last us ten plus years. If money was not object we would have replaced the frames as well.

Our glazing was completly gone, totally misted up on the inside. I tohught I could live with it when we were purchasing the house, but once we got the keys it made the house depressing. Looking forward to getting home from work to have a look outside the windows at last!! :beer:
  • jonnyb1978
    jonnyb1978 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had 7 glass units fitted of varying sizes for £540. All had misted up. Much cheaper than replacing frames.
    As im going through the whole house refurbishing it, quite a bit has been saved in regards to not buying the frames.
    Next job is to reseal around the frames, reapply new upvc moulding and give them all a good clean and lubrication. May even replace handles. So all will look good as new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure