Can I claim Housing Benefit?

Hi there,

I've been reading GOV.uk trying to get a simple answer to my question but no luck! So I was hoping someone here could help me.

I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my girlfriend and a flatmate. My girlfriend and I share nothing in the legal sense (separate bank accounts, NOT living as spouses/civil partners as it says on the housing benefit form...we just share a bedroom).

We each pay 1/3 of the rent, which is £250 each p.m.

My girlfriend earns 20k+ a year, so she is fine. (Like I said we don't share money or an account). Our flat mate also earns separately. We each pay 1/3 of the bills too (direct debited from my girlfriend's account, we give her the cash or do an online transfer)

I am on £12,786 before tax p.a. I struggle to make ends meet during the month and I have been advised by friends and family to request housing benefit until I can find a higher-paid job. I know it is likely to be a small amount but every little really does help!

Do you think my claim would be accepted?

Thanks in advance for the help :D

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    To the benefit agency you are living together as husband and wife so it would need to be a joint claim and your incomes together would be too high I expect.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    You share a bed, you are LTAHAW. Declaring otherwise on the HB application form will be fraudulent.
  • hgm127
    hgm127 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Oh wow I didn't know that! I assumed Living as.. meant legally tied to one another.

Ok, so I won't be able to claim then I'm guessing and will instead have to sponge from my gf..argh!

Thanks for helpful info folks!
  • fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    hgm127 wrote: »
    Oh wow I didn't know that! I assumed Living as.. meant legally tied to one another.

Ok, so I won't be able to claim then I'm guessing and will instead have to sponge from my gf..argh!

Thanks for helpful info folks!

Not necessarily. Your net income is £959p.c.m, minus the rent leaves £700 per month. Utilities for a two bed flat share won't be that much, so it should be manageable on your income. Try posting an SOA for help with reducing your outgoings.
  • Jobseeeker
    Jobseeeker Posts: 433 Forumite
    No you cant.

But the problem is you and g/f should be paying only half the total rent for the room not two thirds. This is a common situation and the rent for a room would normally be the same if one person or a couple are renting it. Utility bills would still of course be split 3 ways

Just my opinion...
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jobseeeker wrote: »
    No you cant.

But the problem is you and g/f should be paying only half the total rent for the room not two thirds. This is a common situation and the rent for a room would normally be the same if one person or a couple are renting it. Utility bills would still of course be split 3 ways

Just my opinion...

one bedroom could be a good sized, en suite and the other could be a boxroom.....

the OP, his girlfriend and their flatmate have made an arrangement , would be really unfair if they tried to re negotiate it if the terms were set when they all moved in--
  • lukieboy96
    lukieboy96 Posts: 666 Forumite
    They're sharing a bed but not 'living' together!! Don't make me laugh!
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lukieboy96 wrote: »

To be fair this question about living together never arose when people didn't live together until they were married (if you get what I mean) It was straightforward then.

In today's world (you can tell I'm an old fogey) people start living together before they make a commitment together. This means they don't share finances at all and do not consider that they should support each other financially.

I quite understand that (so not such an old fogey after all :))

Unfortunately the benefit system hasn't kept with the times!
  • Jobseeeker
    Jobseeeker Posts: 433 Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    one bedroom could be a good sized, en suite and the other could be a boxroom.....

the OP, his girlfriend and their flatmate have made an arrangement , would be really unfair if they tried to re negotiate it if the terms were set when they all moved in--

Yeah thats a good point. But it might be something to think about in the future if they move on
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    lukieboy96 wrote: »

There are many people who share a house but not a bedroom who are classed as "living" together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure