Best way to clean cat pee/poop off carpet & upholstery

Options
New rescue cat ; shes missed litter tray.... pooped over the edge twice, she also peed on my deep upholstered armchair. What is best way to remove odours?

Comments

• skintandscared_2
    Options
    I use an Ozkleen carpet cleaner (as it has a nice lavender smell and says it can be used for pet stains) but there are plenty of cleaners specifically designed for pet stains. You need something that does not contain ammonia but will break down the enzymes in the stain. A pet shop would sell something. Some people swear by white vinegar although that smells a bit too much for my liking.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    I use: http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/HB6113/simple-solutions-extreme-stain-andamp-odour-remover

The 945ml bottle is still 1/3 full and I've had it since getting my kittens in February. I use it regularly in their litter trays to keep them smelling fresh when cleaning, and I've also used it on my floors when my two have had a little accident.

They were going through a stage of peeing on the front door mat, then peeing where the mat used to be. They've now stopped, and each time after using this spray, the odour was completely gone. When you use it, you can actually smell it removing the odour rather than just masking it - I think it's great!
  • sue.b1
    sue.b1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    As I have vinegar in I'll try that this evening. As the poor little thing is stressed she's very squirty. :(
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Biological washing powder works, if you have any.
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • Arachne_2
    Arachne_2 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    I just use anti-bacterial spray when his Lordship misses the tray (which is nearly all the time these days!).

On a carpet, after cleaning up and leatting the area dry, I tend to sprinkle bicarb, brush it in then leave it for awhile, then vacuum.
  • Bailey101
    Bailey101 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    I like the 'Urine off' stuff - it's quite expensive, but you can buy a big bottle from Amazon that works out a bit cheaper. One of mine likes peeing on my front door, I can't break her of her habit but the urine off at least gets rid of the pee:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure