Getting a cat, when I know I want a dog

Options
I can't decide what to do! My much loved cat had to be pts in Feb and I'm just coming round to the idea of getting another cat. However, I would love a dog someday but it's not practical at the moment. I consider myself a dog and cat person. DH is the same.

At the moment, DH and I are both out at work all day, and we only have a small back yard so there is no way we could get a dog. I really can't see those circumstances changing for a good few years so we're wondering whether to get a cat in the meantime. But then, what if, in 5 years or so, we find we are able to get a dog, that would be unfair on the cat wouldn't it?

I know lots of people have cats and dogs, but which is best to have first? Are there particular breeds that get on well together? I've always had moggies so I don't know much about cat breeds, but the type of dog we might go for could be a whippet or lurcher, do they get on with cats generally? We would rather go for a rescue cat than a kitten.

Comments

• Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about adopting an elderly cat? Many of them tend to get passed by in the rescue centres as people want kittens.
  • hock79
    hock79 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking an older cat, as long as it's healthy, although on the other hand, if we get one a couple of years old, then it might still be at a good age to introduce a dog in say 5 years. This is the thing, I can't decide what is for the best!
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    We got a dog 5 years ago, and the Cat terrorises the poor thing. He's so scared of her, that it's funny.
    She will leap off the garden fence onto him if he comes close. And if she's in the same room, he will trot off and lie in his bed (where she has decided to leave him alone)
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've done it both ways - had a dog then got a cat and had a cat then got a dog. I've never really had any great problems. Also some of the dogs have been puppies and others rescues and some of the cats have been kittens and others rescues.

If you get a rescue dog they are usually assessed to see how they get on with cats. If you get a puppy then you just have to teach it to get on with the cat and not chase it etc.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I had a kitten - 35 years ago - as we were both out at work and thought it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog alone all day.

I've since had 6 cats (as many as 4 at the same time) and even though I've been retired for 10 years I've still not got the dog I thought I always wanted.

I would second the suggestion about an older cat (I'm not sure I could ever go through the kitten stage again :eek:).
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be worrying about what "could" happen in 5 years time. And yes, your circumstances are defintely not suitable for keeping a dog.

Just get a lovely cat (or 2) from rescue looking for a home and dont fret about something that may never happen.
  • hock79
    hock79 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    Seems like a very positive yes to getting a rescue cat! Thanks for your help, and Pollycat and JennyW, I know I shouldn't worry about 'what if' but I can't help but dream:)
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, have a look at getting a Burmese cat.

It sounds daft, but they are known for their canine qualities. I have a Burmese cross, and he really does think he's a dog :D

He is very affectionate, he follows me all over the house, when my carer goes for a walk across the fields at the back of my house the cat goes with him - he even growls at strangers (I don't mean a meow that might be a cat version of a growl, but an actual throat growl which sounds like a dog!) he even comes when I whistle him.

For someone who wants that affection and companionship that dogs give, a Burmese cat is an excellent choice.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • GoldenShadow
    Options
    I had two cats and then got a dog. Depending what breeds you want its not always impossible. Dogs like huskies with massive prey drives I wouldn't advise, but I have retrievers (labrador and a golden) and they got on fine. Cats died in the last year or two aged 18 and 19.

I think lurchers can have a bit of a prey drive, but I know with greyhound rescue they have cat tested greys so I imagine its not impossible. Having a cat doesn't rule out a dog, but a rescue cat sounds good! I'm not good with young cats though, so I'd always prefer an older one..!
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tons of people who work full time have dogs. The idyllic view held by some that you should only have a dog if you can completely devote all your time to it is seriously unrealistic. Most people need to work for a living and there would be far fewer happy and well-loved dogs in this country if nobody who worked had them!

Are you absolutely sure its not an option? What about employing a dog walker? Getting up earlier? Maybe rescuing a bonded pair so they'll always have company even when you're not there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure