Barclay Card slashing credit limit to below current balance!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
4 replies 1.4K views
acid2025acid2025 Forumite
1 Post
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
I was wondering if any one can help me.

Back in 2007 I had a Barclay card with a limit of £1450. In October of that year my balance on the card was £1429 and then Barclay decided to slash the limit from £1450 to £700!! Not surprisingly Barclay decided to start charging me £12 for the pleasure of being over my limit, which they caused. :mad:

Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to pay the excess off and I was unable to get another credit card, due to a poor credit rating. I continued to pay charges for a further 8 months until I finally scraped together enough cash, from working overtime, to pay the balance off in full.

My question is, do you think I can claim these charges back :question:

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    acid2025 wrote: »

Back in 2007 I had a Barclay card with a limit of £1450. In October of that year my balance on the card was £1429 and then Barclay decided to slash the limit from £1450 to £700!! Not surprisingly Barclay decided to start charging me £12 for the pleasure of being over my limit, which they caused. :mad:

Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to pay the excess off and I was unable to get another credit card, due to a poor credit rating. I continued to pay charges for a further 8 months until I finally scraped together enough cash, from working overtime, to pay the balance off in full.

You could try. Have you read this?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges

But be quick. Time is running out - it already has if you live in Scotland!
  • acid2025 wrote: »

You can actually claim for the charges that company deducted from your account if they have not given you any prior notice regarding changing the credit limit and if they have notified you about this, you can't claim for it.
    You can clarify more things by searching credit card rights for claiming the charges on unfair deduction.
  • brown1950brown1950 Forumite
    264 Posts
    acid2025 wrote: »

Yes you can claim these over credit limit fee's back. Claim from Barclaycard plus the interest they have charged you. (22.9% has been the favoured rate) Majority of refunds by Barclaycard are under the usual ' goodwill offer' however sometimes you have to issue proceedings against Barclaycard to recover the late payment/over credit limits fee's but don't worry they always pay up prior to going into Court. That tells you everything about these 'penalty charges'
  • TheMoneyTheMoney Forumite
    104 Posts
    As stated above, it really depends on whether you were notified. I'm fairly sure the T's&C's have a clause which allows them to lower your credit limit at any time by giving you atleast 30 days notice. If this is the case, they have given you the time they originally specified in the agreement you signed, and you haven't taken the relevant action to avoid the charges
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides