Is being ill a "valid" reason to miss an ATOS medical?

Options
I'm in the ESA support group and I received a letter from ATOS stating I had a medical with them. I was given 6 days notice which was completely unrealistic notice for someone to get time off work to take me so I had to reschedule my appointment for this Thursday August 1st.

I'm not well enough to attend my medical this Thursday and have been told by ATOS that if I don't attend, they will report this as a missed appointment to the DWP and I will then have to explain to the DWP my reasons for missing it. They will then decide whether my reason is valid or not and if not my benefits will be affected.

Obviously, this is very stressful as I can't help being ill and I can't have no income from them taking my benefits away. Does anyone know if I explain I was too ill to attend, the DWP will see this as a "valid" reason and not cause even more stress?

Thank you

Comments

• jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in the ESA support group and I received a letter from ATOS stating I had a medical with them. I was given 6 days notice which was completely unrealistic notice for someone to get time off work to take me so I had to reschedule my appointment for this Thursday August 1st.

I'm not well enough to attend my medical this Thursday and have been told by ATOS that if I don't attend, they will report this as a missed appointment to the DWP and I will then have to explain to the DWP my reasons for missing it. They will then decide whether my reason is valid or not and if not my benefits will be affected.

Obviously, this is very stressful as I can't help being ill and I can't have no income from them taking my benefits away. Does anyone know if I explain I was too ill to attend, the DWP will see this as a "valid" reason and not cause even more stress?

Thank you

Given that you are being asked to attend because you are unwell, it is not in itself a valid reason to not attend.

Is your condition something that renders you housebound? If so, for future reference you can request a home medical, with supporting evidence of the need for one from your GP. However it is too late to arrange that before Thursday. I would try very hard to attend.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to this:
    http://www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants/before_your_assessment Atos allow you to cancel one appointment but if you cancel two the DWP require you to complete a form stating the reason.

When the form comes complete it with your reasons. It might be sensible to get a letter from your doctors to confirm that you were too ill to attend.

Try not to get too stressed about it. Realistically people could cancel appointments willy nilly. There has to be checks. Nothing personal, just the system.

Think about asking for a home visit if you think you require it.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What illness are you talking about? Is it related to your claim? If it unrelated, would it stop you going to a one-off free longed-for event? If not, then you are fit enough to go to a medical. If you are so poorly that you would even have to pass on something ultra special, then surely you need to go to A&E or at least your GP?
  • Gemini15
    Gemini15 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby-the poster was asking for advice and is obviously worried enough already without your patronising remarks.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Gemini15 wrote: »
    FBaby-the poster was asking for advice and is obviously worried enough already without your patronising remarks.

FBaby is, however, right.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Im just baffled as to how you know you are going to be too unwell to go when its another 2 days away.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People in the support group are among the most sick and disabled people on ESA. They are considered unfit for any form of work.

If I have a bad spell I can be bedbound for weeks at a time. If I was too ill to get out of bed today, I would know very well that I'd be too ill to attend an assessment in 2 days time. It's not like having a bit of a cold!

OP you need to get a letter from your GP or consultant confirming that you are too ill to leave the house, if that is the case, and also indicating that you need a home visit.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gemini15 wrote: »

It's not patronising. I did ask if it was related to the illness they claim for and advised if it wasn't. The OP provides little information in their post, only a general question, hence the response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure