What do you take from hotel rooms?

Options

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am lucky if I can remember to take all my stuff out of the room never mind the freebies.
  • wiffwaff
    Options
    I find it odd that things such as complimentary biscuits ,coffee/ tea sachets and toiletries are included in the list as though these are not paid for items.

If you use all that are available during your stay what then? are we meant to feel guilty for using them all or expect that they get replenished immediately as part of the service.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Around 15 years ago, I worked for the Holiday Inn group. We regularly had people take the bathrobes and they brought in charging for them fairly quickly. If you stole an expensive item (TV, etc) from a room, we'd charge their card after they left. Not sure you would get away with this now!

I'm with most people on here in that I'll take what I would use - toiletries (particularly Molton Brown), posh tea/coffee/biscuits and the packet slippers. I class pretty much everything else as theft.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always take the toiletries although rarely use them - handy to stick in my little-used guest bathroom. I have just asked the owner of the place I'm in at the moment whether I could take the Bvlgari case it came in too...the answer was yes, for £19.99. Not even I love myself that much!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I take the tea/coffee stuff and the mini toiletries as we are expected to use them.

I actually (after a friend said she did this) use the mini soaps etc for the xmas charity shoeboxes.
  • LutonGirl
    LutonGirl Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    My sister was a hotel receptionist for years and a couple who stayed regularly stole the crockery out of the their room each time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing. I don't use bars of soap and I prefer my own toiletries.

Tea/coffee/sugar/milk.... well yes ive sneaked these out on occasions.
  • suejay8237
    Options
    Hotels often give complimentary stuff. This means it is given to you, the customer, Therefore, it can either be used on the premises or taken away, as it's yours. This applies to tea, coffee, etc., and shampoo, etc., not pillows and t.v.'s, which belong to the hotel!!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dastep wrote: »
    People steal toilet paper, coat hangers and shampoo and then complain about the high cost of hotel rooms?

I've stayed in a lot of hotels where they give you a completely fresh toilet roll so I can only assume they throw the remainder from the previous roll away. Besides, you've already paid for the consumables. However coat hangers aren't a consumable.

I've stayed in a number of 5 star hotels and the quality of the consumables they provide is often unbelievable. I can see why people would take them.

Under normal circumstances I would generally take nothing. However while travelling long term I'd generally take the soap, shampoo and toilet roll. These things are expensive if purchasing over a long period and frankly money was tight.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I stayed in a hotel in Romania many years ago and was very tempted by the towel - it was massive and wrapped round me 3 times! I was brought to my senses by my aunt, with whom I was holidaying, by pointing out that a) it wouldn't fit into my suitcase and b) the guards at the airport had serious looking guns!

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport