Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Options

Comments

• Keighleyweb
    Options
    I can't believe the head teacher lets them do this. If you son wants to give his teacher something why not buy them a present just from him ie a box of chocolates or a plant. I think this needs reporting to the local council or even ofsted.
  • choccobreak
    Options
    I am also a teacher and completely agree with katie13.

My daughters school used to ask for a school levy of £10 per year that went towards the diocese.

It is an individual choice whether a child wants to give a present to the teachers or teaching staff.

One of the best presents I ever received from one of my pupils was a card written out by the child and a multipack (4) of Boost because the child one day seen me have a Boost with my cuppa. That was about 3 years ago and that sticks in my mind.

Sorry about the long post ..... I think it is completely wrong for a school to ask a child to contribute anything towards a teachers present. A child/family should contribute because they WANT to not because there is pressure from the school/peers.
  • dimples666
    dimples666 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Are Teachers allowed to accept large gifts like that?

Nurses, Doctors and Police are not allowed to accept anything other than token gifts (box of chocs or the like), large gifts must be declared and given to Senior Staff to buy equipment etc eg its considered a charitable donation
    loan £57,000!!!!
    Started Sept 2012 - Made 21st £25 payment off arrears =£525
    July 2013 made 11th full payment of £491 to loan, Hooray!!!!!! B XX
  • soniam
    soniam Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I can understand the child would feel left out but that really is ridiculous. Each child has to give £25??!! Why should teachers get anything extra? (In fact why should anyone if they are already getting paid for a job).

You need to look at your financial situation.

My son is in nursery and I feel I have to purchase his items made or photographs that have been taken but I don't, not if they are no good.

They should not have this sort of thing going on. I would get a petition going to stop this. And the cheek of the teacher wanting JL vouchers!

:mad:
  • elana1972
    Options
    I am a child development officer and appreciate all gifts - big or small or even a lovely thank you - i am given by the children and their parents. In no way would I ever ask for or assume i was getting a gift from anyone and find it terrible that this teacher gave a preference in gifts. I feel it is terrible that the school even think of doing it this way, especially this amount. I can imagine it would be a lot of money having one child but imagine having two or three in the school and needing to pay money for each of them.
    Not a nice way to have to show your respect for a good teacher and classroom assistant.
  • Badgersgirl
    Options
    I have enormous respect for teachers and what they do, but with 3 kids (2 grown and last one in high school) I have never bought a present for any of their teachers.

Call me tight, but they choose to do a job for which they are paid more money than I am.
  • clairebear114
    Options
    Definitely not! Teachers and TAs receive wages, and presents should be at the parent's discretion. At my children's school the teacher actually said, "we get paid, this isn't necessary,but thank you for the thought". I'm sure she won't be the only one to object. Whatever happened to giving a box of Cadbury's Roses?
  • sgt1439hux
    sgt1439hux Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I was always taught that if you don't ask you don't get.

however there is a differnce between a reasonable request and being taken for a mug.

Stand up for your principles and do what you think is right
    remember, many people know what it right but take the easy option.

Do what your principles tells you.Thats what
    GREAT LEADERS and more important GREAT
    PARENTS are made of.

Be honest, be right, and above all be proud of doing
    what you think is right, not what you think everyone else thinks you should do.
  • jpg.bellword
    Options
    I have a problem with this. We all work, we all earn a wage, do we all expect a "bonus" at the end of the year? I don't think so. Teachers are paid to do a job as are bank clerks, shop assistants, social workers, bar staff, etc.. No presents for teachers, "full stop". They are paid to do a job as are the rest of us. So please say "NO".
  • bonnie_bumpkins
    bonnie_bumpkins Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    Outrageous!! Report to the governors..... and local paper. Stand your ground and do not pay. Hard as it may seem, this is a great opportunity for your son to learn lessons in a) financial sense b) emotional blackmail c) not being afraid to question what you see as unfair/unjust & d) having the confidence to do something about it.
    Well done & good luck! :T
    *If you have nothing nice to say... say nothing*
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure