Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Options

Comments

• Clueless969
    Clueless969 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2013 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Haven't read anyone else's opinion on this as I shan't be swayed either way. :) Having read the original question, I have to ask if this is a wind-up question or a real situation?

Assuming this to be a real situation, it is outrageous that any parent should be expected to provide a gift or contribution toward a gift for anyone in the teaching profession.:mad:

Why on earth should we be expected to tip our teachers and the other good folk that help out in the classroom?

Today's question, based around an expected "VOLUNTARY" contribution of £25 per pupil, in my opinion, screams coercion and a form of (im)moral blackmail. Couple that to the child feeling so guilty that he is planning to save up his pocket money to comply and not feel left out suggests that this matter should be set out in writing and sent to the Department of Education (or whatever the department is now called) and copied to the Headmaster/mistress of the school in question and the local paper(s).

What on earth is any school thinking when it feels that it can force this upon parents?

What about the parents who have more than 1 child at the school?

What about the parents who have more than 1 child at the school and are in low paid jobs? Even if this were an OK thing to expect (which it never can be), where would a low-pay family get £25 or £50 or £75 from to make the "voluntary" contributions? Each "voluntary" contribution of £25 represents about half a day's pay for a low-pay worker.

With this sort of situation, past experience suggests that "name and shame" is the only way to stop this sort of thing.
  • stratford79
    Options
    I think this is outrageous, no-one buys me gifts for doing the job I get paid to do which is 50 hours a week with a measly 24 days holiday and not half as rewarding as teaching. I teach dance in my spare time (what little I have) and am more than chuffed with a box of chocs or a homemade card. I'd definitely go to the govenors or directly to the ringleader who has more money than sense. Teaching is a vocation this person has chosen not a hardship they have to endure, it's reward enough on it's own without *#@';/ john lewis vouchers. This has made my blood boil, I'd give anything to teach full time. Don't involve your son though if you can, send him in with something homemade, I don't think this teaches children a very good lesson in the value of things!!
  • ellesbellesxxx
    ellesbellesxxx Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a Teacher, I find this absolutely appalling. I would be mortified if I heard people being expected to put that in for me...moreover, to say NO to charity donations and demand JL vouchers - shocking!
    I am always touched and delighted to receive cards, let alone anything else. The ones I treasure are the hand made cards, or the thoughtful messages inside "You helped me become the best I can be" reduced me to tears... make a stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rotfl:
  • globetraveller
    globetraveller Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who is still to break up from school? I am thinking this might be a private one?
    As a teacher myself, I am horrified with this. My favourite presents have always been letters from parents or homemade cards from children. I appreciate small presents but don't open them in front of the class as I am aware it might upset those who have not brought. I always write a thank you letter though, which I post. If the school put a demand out for £25 per pupil I would put out a letter to all my parents saying not to donate money towards a present for me.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • purplepen
    purplepen Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I taught full time (now a supply) if a gift was given over a certain value the teacher had to seek permission from the Head in order to keep it. In 2003 the limit was £10. We could not accept cash and gift vouchers of any value also had to be declared to him.

I always preferred a heartfelt thank-you and a home made card anyway. My scrapbook of 25 years of cards, drawings and class photos is a most treasured possession.
  • Pet50
    Pet50 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    This is outrageous!! I am a teacher of 35 years and have received some presents over the years. Usually hand written thank you cards, a box of chocs and small items. I would NEVER expect for parents to be ASKED to contribute to a present!! And for the teacher to specify vouchers instead of a charity...well!!! Words fail me! I would suggest a visit to the head to thrash this out. If he/she condones it then I would seriously consider is this the school for your child ??
  • Joannerachel47
    Options
    This type of reward would constitute as an Encouragement award under the HMRC rules:

"Encouragement awards
    An encouragement award is one that is made for a suggestion which has some special merit or reflects praiseworthy effort on the part of the person making the suggestion. The permitted maximum for an encouragement award is £25. If the encouragement award exceeds £25 the excess over £25is taxable"

Some employers incorrectly assume gifts under the 'certain gifts' element of the HMRC rules however in this instance condition three is not upheld as the gift is in recognition of performance and ALL conditions must be satisfied for the gift to be tax free up to £250 (see below). Flag this with the school and with the HMRC if necessary and then see if she still wants the vouchers ;)

Certain gifts
    Certain gifts from third parties if all these conditions are satisfied:
    • the gift consists of goods or a voucher or token only capable of being used to obtain goods, and
    • the person making the gift is not your employer or a person connected with your employer, and
    • the gift is not made either in recognition of the performance of particular services in the course of your employment or in anticipation of particular services which are to be performed, and
    • the gift has not been directly or indirectly procured by your employer or by a person connected with your employer, and
    • the gift cost the donor £250 or less, and
    • the total cost of all gifts made by the same donor to you, or to members of your family or household, during the tax year is £250 or less.

• katie13
    Options
    As a teacher I would be embarrased to hear parents had been asked to do this. As a mum I certainly wouldn't pay that either. A hand written card by a child means much more. And I am very upset that your son felt that he had to save to do this I am so very sorry what a disgrace .
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "A bottle of whisky is a present, a crate of whisky is a bribe"

That old saying is a pretty good guide to giving a little extra for good service.

Is the school ashamed about exploiting its teaching staff ?
  • Horacity
    Horacity Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    PegasusPJ
    when I was a kid the only time teachers got a gift (aside from a drawing..ie something you didn't buy) was when they retired! (and as far as I remember, it wasn't even the parents but the pupils' own pocket money that was collected by the pupils themselves).

Fujiko
    This presupposes that the teacher will be keeping a list of pupils' names and will put a tick against each one as the money comes in and will then make it known to the whole class who has not contributed. Unbelievable! Would any teacher really humiliate a child in this way?

These two answers reminded me of an incident in my own schooldays, in the 1960s. The deputy headmistress was retiring, and, as she was an old dragon who had made pupils' lives a misery, my form teacher must have realised passing a bag for anonymous contributions would be fruitless. Instead, he asked each of us how much we would be giving. I sat there seething as I waited to be asked, and somehow got up the nerve to reply 'Nothing'. Shocked silence--- then I was told I had to give something, even if it was only sixpence, so I grudgingly said 'Sixpence, then.' I was too reserved to be popular at school, but I may have earned a little respect from some of my classmates that day, for saying what most of them were thinking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure