Wildly differing quotes for fencing/tree removal

Options
I'm after having four fir trees removed, 14m new featheredge fencing along one boundary and 4 1/2 bays fencing replaced on another boundary with featheredge (approx. 8m, original posts to be re-used).

Contractor 1:
Removal of trees £580
14m featheredge £980
Removal of existing bays, fix 8m featheredge using existing posts £465

Contractor 2:
Removal of trees £1,085
14m featheredge £630
Removal of existing bays, fix 8m featheredge using existing posts £280

As you can see, on one the tree removal is half the price of the other, but the fencing is twice as much, so I don't know whether I should try and negotiate with one of the contractors. I don't suppose they'll be too happy if I get one to cut the trees and the other to do the fencing.

The first guy measured everything, but gave me an estimate. The second guy just relied on the measurements I gave him but gave me a quote so I'm unsure what to do for the best and would be grateful for some opinions!

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does one of them include stump removal?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • poorlittlefish
    Options
    Neither of them mentioned anything about that. There are other trees that were removed at some point and their stumps left behind, so that doesn't particularly bother me.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But there is only £40 in it when you total it up.

Go with the one you feel most confident with.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    You could ask both of them to give you a comprehensive breakdown of the prices or you could ask for a comprehensive description of the work each will do to include material specifications or you could ask another to quote or you could ask both of them to requote against a comon specification written by you or you could just follow Phil's advice.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure