Home Forever? Maybe Mortgage Forever? No Way!!

Options

Comments

• Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you come across the "Tilly tidy" OP yet? You'll see it on some people's diaries, often abbreviated to TT. Some MFWs transfer the odd pennies from their current account across to their mortgage at the end of every day. For them, £1 is a huge round number to OP. ;)
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jackop wrote: »
    Hi Lois. Thanks very much!

I couldn't leave it at £1 and threw another £9 in. Can't stand odd numbers!!

Oh I can see you're going to be very popular around here, that's the sort of rounding up we like to see! :j
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • Jackop
    Jackop Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lois,

No i havent but Ill check it out, thanks!

Floppy, thats good to know. It was just sat there staring at me and I couldnt hack it, haha.

Im still struggling with overpayments, reduced term or payments? What does everyone else do? Assuming you have a choice that is!
    Borrowed - £148000 June 2013
    Original MF Date - May 2038
    Aiming For - March 2031 (At Latest!)
    Overpaid - £490.00
    Daily Interest - [STRIKE]£18.16[/STRIKE] £18.09
  • Itsadogslife_2
    Options
    I am with the Nationwide and like you am only allowed to overpay by £500.00 I would keep the monthly amount the same and reduce term personally. We can't overpay by any more than £500.00 per month or else we have to pay a redemption penalty, on our additional smaller mortgage with Nationwide we are only allowed to overpay by up to 10% of the same again, a redemption penalty.

What pests are on the basil do you know? Is it greenfly type stuff or slugs? If it is slugs, you can buy this copper tape that can go around the top of the pots to stop the slugs getting into your pots, I think I got some of mine off ebay.
    Just keep swimming!
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I try and overpay at least half of my monthly mortgage amount as a single payment. One month if at all poss, and when I was fully employed and not fully freelancing, if I payed 3x the amount, it would trigger an automatic recalculation of the monthly amount.

Need to build up to those halcyon days!
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • Jackop
    Options
    What pests are on the basil do you know? Is it greenfly type stuff or slugs? If it is slugs, you can buy this copper tape that can go around the top of the pots to stop the slugs getting into your pots, I think I got some of mine off ebay.

I think its snails, i went outside last night and found one with his face stuck to one of the leaves! He was swiftly turfed. I just looked up copper tape, i think im going to use that. I also have a lot of old wires I could strip and tie together, do you think that would work for an MSE solution?

I think the reduced term is the best for now as it comes off straight away. To pay £500 would mean me saving up and then putting in, losing interest while im saving for it.
    Overpaid - £490.00
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a Nationwide or Santander account, or even a First Direct? You could put the money in a current account and earn interest before you get to the £500 you need. Nationwide Flex Direct earns 5% before tax or First Direct regular saver is 6% but you can't access it for a year, so you could earn interest and chuck an even bigger lump sum at the mortgage?
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • Jackop
    Options
    Hi Floppy,

I do have a first direct current account, I have enquired about the regular saver but im not a lover of the tied in accounts. Even though logically it makes sense. I might pay half into a regular saver to build up an emerncy pot then look again at that next year.

Also Nationwide will allow me to underpay what I have overpayed in the past (just incase).
    Overpaid - £490.00
  • Jackop
    Options
    So last night I made a bit of a discovery...

I downloaded the mortgage spreadsheet from here and in went all my figures. Its nice to see how certain overpayments can affect the term. So I had a bit of a play and saw a nice (relatively) short term goal.

If I were to overpay by £160/m, by the end of the 3 year fix I would be above the 20% equity threshold. I went onto money supermarket
    and input the figures as if the 3 year fix had ended today. My payments on a 22 year mortgage came down by £200!!

I know its folly to think that things will be the same in 3 years as they are today. But if they are ill know that we can save a shedload (by that I mean overpay even more!)

£160/m is doable, I think we should have anywhere between £400 - £500 spare every month. So the rest can go into savings as the wedding fund. Easy!
    Overpaid - £490.00
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome Jackop and good luck :)

Where did you find the mortgage spreadsheet? I have had a scout about and can't find it. I would like to download it so I can keep track. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure