Cashback on overseas transactions?

Options
gt94sss2
gt94sss2 Posts: 5,662 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

As I have to do quite a lot of spending overseas (in foreign currencies - not in GBP), I'm interested in collecting a list of credit card companies which pay cashback on cc transactions carried out overseas.

I understand that the:

Aqua Reward Credit Card: f/x transactions count towards cash back

Halifax Clarity Reward Card: the f/x transaction counts the £300/month you need to spend to get £5/month cashback.

Both of these cards also have the benefit of no f/x loading. Are there any others?

What about cards which do charge f/x loading but do offer cashback? Some Capital One cards maybe or the ex-Egg Money Barclaycard?

Regards
Sunil

Comments

• guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    Hi,

As I have to do quite a lot of spending overseas (in foreign currencies - not in GBP), I'm interested in collecting a list of credit card companies which pay cashback on cc transactions carried out overseas.

I understand that the:

Aqua Reward Credit Card: f/x transactions count towards cash back

Halifax Clarity Reward Card: the f/x transaction counts the £300/month you need to spend to get £5/month cashback.

Both of these cards also have the benefit of no f/x loading. Are there any others?

What about cards which do charge f/x loading but do offer cashback? Some Capital One cards maybe or the ex-Egg Money Barclaycard?

Regards
    Sunil

Afaik, they're the only ones currently available load free. Nationwide Select doesn't pay the cashback on FX transactions, neither does the Capital One Aspire World (the new, no fee version).

Any card which does pay cashback, but charges forex fees, will charge more than it pays back. Bear in mind cashback is probably 1.5% at best, forex fees are generally 2-3%.

Some reward cards provide benefit on foreign spend which makes the forex fees more or less tolerable, the credit card reviews on headforpoints.com cover this in some more detail.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes American Express have no fee targeted offers on but other than that not any I can think of.

I suppose the Amex cards with cashback with the 3 months on 5% would mean you'd be getting 2% on purchases for 3 months. Wouldn't be too bad if your going to a country like the UK where its widely accepted (USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Japan).
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Aqua card offering 3% cashback is no longer available to new applicants.

In the US, American Express platinum and Centurion cards have no foreign use surcharge. Sadly, AmEx UK refuse to implement this customer-friendly offer. Competition from other cards in the US, especially from Chase, brought about AmEx US's change in policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure