We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Have I made a mistake planting a cordyline australis in our small front garden?

Options
sb44
sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
My MIL gave me some tiny cordyline austalis plants that she had grown from seed. She planted quite a few seeds thinking some would die off but all of them germinated and grew!

I have them all in Morrisons flower buckets except the one that I put in the front garden. I wrongly thought that they were just palm like plants that prob grew to about 4' talll so planted one about 10' away from the house, halfway between the house and front fence.

I have just seen that cordyline austalis can grow up to 30' tall! :eek: That is way too big for our garden.

It has been in the garden for about 6 weeks and is about 2' tall.

Should I pull it up and stick it in a builders bucket for now then transfer to a larger pot once the roots have filled the bucket?

I also transferred a red cordyline froml a pot to the garden, this was from Wilkinsons, I think it is a Red Star, would that one be ok left in the garden?
It is about 12' away from the house.

Ta.

Comments

• Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    They are common in South Devon. My late mother had one in the small front garden, it was no more than 3m tall, maybe less, and it had been there quite a few years.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    You could dig it up, stick it in the compost and put something nice in there instead.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    I think they are nice!

Do you know the cultivar? That would tell you the mature height of yours.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Ash_McCloud
    Ash_McCloud Posts: 21,412 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Saw the trunk off as close to ground level as you can if/when it gets too big for the garden and it'll sprout new growth.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you like it I would leave it there until it grows too big and then prune it. It will probably be just fine for years - or die overwinter!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was a bit worried about the roots if it is only about 12' from the house.
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, I have just lifted it out the garden and potted it into a Morrisons flower bucket for now.

I was a bit worried that if I left it the roots would take hold and I would have a job taking it out if I left it too long.

The root ball wasn't as big as I thought it would be so it was an easy job.

I am going to leave the Red Star one in the garden as they don't appear to grow very tall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure