Natwest say have to wait to reclaim charges on card when CPA cancelled

Options
Hi,

I cancelled a Visa Debit CPA with my Bank yesterday, when l say cancelled they said they can't cancel but what they would do is if charges are taken that they would refund me the same day.

This morning, unsurprisingly money had been taken from my debit card.

When l called up NatWest they said they could only cancel/credit back these charges when the debit card transactions are cleared against my account. So potentially l can't get this money back until Monday/Tuesday.

Is this right do l need to wait? It seems crazy that if l was a victim of fraud they would be sorting this out right now.

(I do appreciate that NatWest is talking a load of nonsense about not cancelling these things, l have already resolved to leave NatWest - l would like my money back before doing this though!).

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this right do l need to wait?

Yes. The transaction could be recalled or not actually complete.
    I do appreciate that NatWest is talking a load of nonsense about not cancelling these things

They are not talking nonsense.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • qwertyisop
    Options
    I'm happy to accept that NatWest systems can't cancel the transactions, that's fine - but the law is quite clear l can withdraw my consent to the transaction and the agent must fulfill that request.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2013 at 12:20PM
    Options
    qwertyisop wrote: »
    Hi,

I cancelled a Visa Debit CPA with my Bank yesterday, when l say cancelled they said they can't cancel but what they would do is if charges are taken that they would refund me the same day.

This morning, unsurprisingly money had been taken from my debit card.

When l called up NatWest they said they could only cancel/credit back these charges when the debit card transactions are cleared against my account. So potentially l can't get this money back until Monday/Tuesday.

Is this right do l need to wait? It seems crazy that if l was a victim of fraud they would be sorting this out right now.

(I do appreciate that NatWest is talking a load of nonsense about not cancelling these things, l have already resolved to leave NatWest - l would like my money back before doing this though!).
    What is a continuous payment authority?
    A: A continuous payment authority is similar to a Direct Debit in that it gives the ability to pay regular bills by having the payment claimed automatically from your debit card.
    http://supportcentre.natwest.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1610/~/what-is-a-continuous-payment-authority%3F
    How do I stop automated debit card payments?

A: If you wish to stop a regular payment set up on your debit card you can speak to the Visa Debit Retailer Disputes team who are able to assist you. Visa Debit Retailer Disputes - 0845 366 0391
    Minicom - 0800 917 0526
    Calls may be recorded
    http://supportcentre.natwest.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1611/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc0ODM2ODYyL3NpZC9aaHp3cGF3bA%3D%3D/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc0ODM2ODYyL3NpZC9aaHp3cGF3bA==
    How do I cancel a payment?
    A: If you have set the payment date as today's date then the payment will have been processed and cannot be cancelled . However you can amend or cancel a scheduled payment up to 6.30pm (UK time) on the working day before the payment is due to leave your account.

To cancel a scheduled payment select 'Payments and transfers' from the left hand menu then from the 'Single Payments and transfers' section select 'Manage scheduled payments' and select 'Go'. Select the appropriate payment from your list of Scheduled payments and transfers click on the 'Cancel Payment' button and follow the simple instructions on screen.

Please note that if you have set up a scheduled payment at your branch it will not appear in your list of Scheduled payments and transfers. Please contact your branch if you wish to amend or cancel any such payment.
    http://supportcentre.natwest.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/244/related/1
    Is there a cut off point for cancelling a payment?
    A: If you have set the payment date as today s date then the payment will have been processed and cannot be cancelled . However you can amend or cancel a scheduled payment up to 6.30pm (UK time) on the working day before the payment is due to leave your account.
    http://supportcentre.natwest.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/425/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc0ODM2ODYyL3NpZC9aaHp3cGF3bA%3D%3D/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc0ODM2ODYyL3NpZC9aaHp3cGF3bA==

HTH :)
    qwertyisop wrote: »
    I'm happy to accept that NatWest systems can't cancel the transactions, that's fine - but the law is quite clear l can withdraw my consent to the transaction and the agent must fulfill that request.
    Why join this site and ask if something is right if you you already think you know chapter & verse of the laws surrouding such issue??? :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure