Forum Home» Credit Cards

MSE News: EU proposes card charges shake-up but will fees rise?

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: EU proposes card charges shake-up but will fees rise?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
12 replies 2.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
"New European proposals aimed at cutting the cost of using debit and credit cards could see British shoppers lose out..."
Read the full story:

EU proposes card charges shake-up but will fees rise?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• rb10rb10 Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that MSE suggest that banks may recoup the lost income through "the card's APR or a charge per transaction".

I'd have thought a charge per transaction is very unlikely, and instead a monthly fee is more plausible.

Charging per transaction means people will be more inclined to have a card but never use it. Once you've paid the monthly fee, you might as well use your card.

Any ideas what the rationale for the MSE comment might be?
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    rb10 wrote: »
    It's interesting that MSE suggest that banks may recoup the lost income through "the card's APR or a charge per transaction".

I'd have thought a charge per transaction is very unlikely, and instead a monthly fee is more plausible.

Charging per transaction means people will be more inclined to have a card but never use it. Once you've paid the monthly fee, you might as well use your card.

Any ideas what the rationale for the MSE comment might be?

There basing it on the fact that charges per transaction were introduced after similar regulations were brought in other countries, especially on debit cards.

I have no doubt that these changes will negatively effect the consumer. I just hope the UK regulators have some sense to go against this in the UK.
  • Gordon_the_MoronGordon_the_Moron Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant idea of course.

Force the banks/card providers to cut their fees to retailers, making them offer worse deals to consumers (no cash back cards, fees for using debit cards, higher APRs etc)

However we will get lower costs from retailers as they pass on their savings to their customers. Yes of course they will! :wall:
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Forumite
    2.7K posts

However we will get lower costs from retailers as they pass on their savings to their customers. Yes of course they will! :wall:

More chance of seeing pigs fly than retailers lowering prices. This will only benefit larger merchants as well, small merchants will probably be charged even more as acquirers will probably raise monthly fees to offset interchange loss.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see that as much as 70% of EU credit card use was by UK cardholders. I was aware that card use in some EU countries such as Germany was way below the UK (and France). When I lived in Germany, I noted that cash was king even for major purchases such as of furniture.

So it seems that the impact of this suggestion if it goes through will be mainly affect UK cardholders.

As a good European, I generally mock the Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph 'them and us' theories but perhaps they will take up the cudgels with the politicians.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Bank A started to charge an annual fee for a card, then they will rapidly lose customers to Bank B - It's happened before - competition will stop it.
    Can anyone imagine Tesco charging for their Mastercard? I think not!!
  • Now, what did I do with my cheque book? :)
  • withnellwithnell Forumite
    1.6K posts
    brewerdave wrote: »
    If Bank A started to charge an annual fee for a card, then they will rapidly lose customers to Bank B - It's happened before - competition will stop it.
    Can anyone imagine Tesco charging for their Mastercard? I think not!!

Not that many years ago people were charged for current accounts that dropped below a certain level - Tesco aren't going to run their business at a loss - I'd think it's likely that all banks would introduce a charge on the day the regulations come into effect
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to keep using cash and they can keep their plastic
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • PegasusPJPegasusPJ Forumite
    33 posts
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I was surprised to see that as much as 70% of EU credit card use was by UK cardholders. I was aware that card use in some EU countries such as Germany was way below the UK (and France). When I lived in Germany, I noted that cash was king even for major purchases such as of furniture.

So it seems that the impact of this suggestion if it goes through will be mainly affect UK cardholders.

As a good European, I generally mock the Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph 'them and us' theories but perhaps they will take up the cudgels with the politicians.
    the higher number of CC here I presume is due to the fact that cards are free.

In France, you have to pay annual fees even for Debit cards (the only thing you don't pay for is a card allowing to withdraw cash in your own bank only, not other banks).

So I have 3 CC and 2 debit cards here and nothing in France (even though I have an account) 'cos I refuse to pay to access my own money.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support