🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Bank forced an interest rate increase on my C/Card

Options
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I am asking a question which has already been answered in another forum.

I have a credit card with my bank and it is very near to its limit. I pay every month a little over the minimum amount and have never missed a payment.

My bank wrote to tell me they were increasing the interest rate on my outstanding balance and I contacted them refusing to accept it, so they left it as was at first. Then, a few months later, they wrote again to say they were increasing the interest, but this time, they inserted a sentence in the letter to say that if I refused to accept it, they would close the card, transfer the balance to a loan and warned that this would affect my credit rating.

Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience and what if anything can be done about it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CC-Warrior
    CC-Warrior Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    With me they offered to freeze the interest rate as long as I closed the account. Not sure if that affected the credit rating or not, but it's better (from a debt point of view) to have a lower APR and no longer use it?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I am asking a question which has already been answered in another forum.

I have a credit card with my bank and it is very near to its limit. I pay every month a little over the minimum amount and have never missed a payment.

My bank wrote to tell me they were increasing the interest rate on my outstanding balance and I contacted them refusing to accept it, so they left it as was at first. Then, a few months later, they wrote again to say they were increasing the interest, but this time, they inserted a sentence in the letter to say that if I refused to accept it, they would close the card, transfer the balance to a loan and warned that this would affect my credit rating.

Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience and what if anything can be done about it?

Thanks in advance.

which CC was that?

can you post up the EXACT wording of the letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's correct, Martin has a guide on here to help.

Not sure about the credit raiting part though... I do wonder if the wording makes things seem a little more "legal" and you have understood it to mean "loan" and it may say "failure to repay may affect your credit raiting".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport