Beginners Guide to Cycle Commuting

Options

Comments

• fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fewcloudy wrote: »
    Another quality post
    Why thank you! I didn't need to click on the second link, I immediately recognized the Evil Clown definition as being almost down to a tee!
    In particular, His greatest thrill is to taunt and humiliate weaker or more plodding Warriors with his snappy ripostes. Yes, it's my mission to rid these boards of sloppy grammar and (in your case) misinformed spelling! :D
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Thanks for this great thread. Its been a great help as I'm in the process of trying to choose a bike. I'll be cycling to work..its only 3 miles away and most of it will be through a park on firm tracks. As I gain confidence I may also use it to go to the locals shops ect. I wont be doing miles and miles of road work.

I was looking at this bike and wondered what peoples thoughts are. I like the riding position and the slightly sporty look for the days I dont use it for work and wizz around the park. I would add a rack and mudguards too. http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/range/claud-butler-hybrid/cb3019 its a claude butler explorer 300 ladies.

My budget is £400 and I've found it online under budget. Am considering the cycle to work scheme too.

Thanks
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this great thread. Its been a great help as I'm in the process of trying to choose a bike. I'll be cycling to work..its only 3 miles away and most of it will be through a park on firm tracks. As I gain confidence I may also use it to go to the locals shops ect. I wont be doing miles and miles of road work.

I was looking at this bike and wondered what peoples thoughts are. I like the riding position and the slightly sporty look for the days I dont use it for work and wizz around the park. I would add a rack and mudguards too. http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/range/claud-butler-hybrid/cb3019 its a claude butler explorer 300 ladies.

My budget is £400 and I've found it online under budget. Am considering the cycle to work scheme too.
    Looks fine - though I'm sure you could get a bit knocked off the price.
    There's also this GT from Wiggle at £395 for very similar specification.
    if you want a "step through" ladies frame, it does limit your options a bit. But big makes like GT, Claude Butler, Trek, Specialized etc all make good bikes.

The most important thing is Frame fit, really. I'd suggest you buy from a decent local bike shop, so that you can test the fitting in shop before you buy. They can also fit accessories for you before delivery, and you can haggle on price and use their after sales support. This can be invaluable if you're not to confident with a set of allen keys (yet!).
  • butterfly72
    Options
    Thanks Weird Nev for the reply. After posting my question we actually went to a local shop for a browse. We were in there two and a half hours but I ended up buying a Giant Rove 3!!

I took the OH who is great at negotiating extras and for £450 I got the bike, a rack, Altura 36ltr panniers, mudguards and a gel saddle worth £44. I'm really happy with the deal. I love the bike and cant wait to collect it Monday.:j
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent! Enjoy your bike! If you have any issues the shop will no doubt be well palced to help. There really is "value" in shopping at a good local bike shop.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    There really is "value" in shopping at a good local bike shop.
    The issue I had with trying to get my bike looked at/sorted by Halfords is that it was a 40 mile round trip, involving dismantling the bike to get it into the car...... making it a pain.

Not everybody has a local bike shop, a 40 mile round trip at the time WAS local. Even now, now I live close to a big town..... it'd still be a case of having to get the bike into the car and do a 15 mile round trip.
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    The issue I had with trying to get my bike looked at/sorted by Halfords is that it was a 40 mile round trip, involving dismantling the bike to get it into the car...... making it a pain.

Not everybody has a local bike shop, a 40 mile round trip at the time WAS local. Even now, now I live close to a big town..... it'd still be a case of having to get the bike into the car and do a 15 mile round trip.

Halfords is very hit and miss when it comes to bikes - it's a sideline of theirs, not their sole purpose. Some of their mechanics are quite frankly awful and I wouldn't class it as a bike shop, let alone a good one, especially when repairs come into play.

There's some great youtube videos for diy bike repairs, along with parktool.com (and others I'm unaware of), so most of the things you need to keep the bike on the road can be done at home.
    It's only numbers.
  • butterfly72
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    Excellent! Enjoy your bike! If you have any issues the shop will no doubt be well palced to help. There really is "value" in shopping at a good local bike shop.

I picked up my bike yesterday and have been out on it a couple of times today saving me a few quid on fuel already. It was a bit scarey riding on the main road but I did ok. I've previously done a local government cycling course which really helped in terms of road riding skills but also confidence. I might get myself a florescent vest tho!

Just to add regarding the local shop, they did indeed tell me to pop by if I have any issues and I also get a free service within the next 8 weeks. I'm really pleased I bought locally:)
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Its a good idea to make use of that free service as the brakes and gears will need properly tuning after its been ridden a bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure