Credit card blocking frustration

Options
Does anyone know why it can take up to 2 weeks to unblock a credit card after a hire car has been returned undamaged? My bank say it's up to the hire co and the hire co say it's up to the bank?!? Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• oldsmokie
    oldsmokie Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    This is normally more of a problem with a debit card.

I had a major row with a very poor quality car hire company and RBS last year about this. As you say, the two organisations blamed each other and despite making complaints I never got satisfactory resolution and I couldn't be bothered to escallate the matter.

My suspicion is that it suits the bank to freeze funds as it maximises overdraft interest and minimises interest on credit balances.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean the 'shadow charge' ? Not a debit, simply a reduction in spending power. It cancels when the final balance is charged to the same card.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    rogann07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it can take up to 2 weeks to unblock a credit card after a hire car has been returned undamaged? My bank say it's up to the hire co and the hire co say it's up to the bank?!? Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

The hire co are telling porkies.....

Many co's say that its your banks fault... Funny, but who requested the payment?
    But do not expect their counter staff to know how banking works, just the same as you would not expect your bank to know how car hire works.

hire co need to get their merchant bank to remove the auth that is outstanding.

I guess that as the debit was not the same as the auth they placed it has not automatically cancelled its self out.

14 days is a timescale Visa/mastercard have in place.

I guess as its causing a issue you are upto your limit.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • rogann07
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Like you Old Smokie, I just got fed up and couldn't be bothered to escalate. Sometimes the angst you cause yourself aint worth it even though you know what is going on aint right :(.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure