Bank of Ireland overdraft charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
3 replies 1.1K views
cramperscrampers Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Having recently incurred a number of charges relating to unauthorised overdraft charge with the Bank of Ireland ( Northern Ireland ) I was shocked to see that the charge including the unpaid direct debit charge is a total of £42 ( £21 + £21 ). Two bites of the cherry for an unpaid direct debit disgusting. I then checked the charges for similar circumstances if you happen to be a customer in the United Kingdom or Bank of Ireland (GB) to my surprise they are lower.
International boundaries still inform me that Northern Ireland is still part of the UK then why are the charges different. The BOI inform me that it is a different jurisdiction so they can charge what they want. Hmmm. Anyone else have a similar problem. Any advice appreciated, I will be writing to FOS and MP.

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    crampers wrote: »
    Having recently incurred a number of charges relating to unauthorised overdraft charge with the Bank of Ireland ( Northern Ireland ) I was shocked to see that the charge including the unpaid direct debit charge is a total of £42 ( £21 + £21 ). Two bites of the cherry for an unpaid direct debit disgusting. I then checked the charges for similar circumstances if you happen to be a customer in the United Kingdom or Bank of Ireland (GB) to my surprise they are lower.
    International boundaries still inform me that Northern Ireland is still part of the UK then why are the charges different. The BOI inform me that it is a different jurisdiction so they can charge what they want. Hmmm. Anyone else have a similar problem. Any advice appreciated, I will be writing to FOS and MP.

Who's your MP?
    I look forward to viewing the response you receive; please post it here if/when you ever get one.

As regards the FOS, I know they will simply return your complaint and ask you to complete the bank's own complaint process first ... so I suggest you save the cost of the stamp on that one :)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Two bites of the cherry for an unpaid direct debit disgusting.

Not at all. It means they had to do the work twice. It is a charge per occurrence.

Northern Ireland often has different rules to England and Wales. Scotland can be even more different.

You cannot go to the FOS without going through the complaints process first. All FOS will do is interpret your complaint in a few sentences and forward it on to the bank. Not a good idea because the interpretation is often very different to what you want it to say.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TheMoneyTheMoney Forumite
    104 Posts
    The bank should only levy 1 charge per transaction. If the direct debit was returned unpaid, then your balance would be no lower than before this occurred. You were either already over your limit, or have incurred a charge for something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides