Bank charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
4 replies 1.1K views
john1986john1986 Forumite
114 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Id guess you guys have answered this a million time but I know IV payed a fortune in bank charges to Abby national, is there anyway to still go about to claim them back ? I'm also currently paying a reducing overdraft off with hem that's down to about 250 from 1000 is this the kind of thing you can barter on for example Im thinking of claiming but would rather you just wipe the amount left and close the account? Cheers for any replays :money:

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    is there anyway to still go about to claim them back ?

No.
    I'm also currently paying a reducing overdraft off with hem that's down to about 250 from 1000 is this the kind of thing you can barter on for example

no. Not unless you want your credit record destroyed for 6 or so years.
    Im thinking of claiming but would rather you just wipe the amount left and close the account?

Banks typically only refund on financial hardship cases and first time mistakes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TheMoneyTheMoney Forumite
    104 Posts
    Your only possibility is a sympathetic ear at the bank that may offer to waive some of the charges.
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    john1986 wrote: »
    Id guess you guys have answered this a million time but I know IV payed a fortune in bank charges to Abby national, is there anyway to still go about to claim them back ? I'm also currently paying a reducing overdraft off with hem that's down to about 250 from 1000 is this the kind of thing you can barter on for example Im thinking of claiming but would rather you just wipe the amount left and close the account? Cheers for any replays :money:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

We'd all like to wipe our debts out, but it isn't that simple.
    Ask yourself, who would ever lend money if they knew there was no way to get it back???
  • TheMoneyTheMoney Forumite
    104 Posts
    What were the charges for? What was your situation at the time? Do you pay for things like Sky and mobile phone bills? Not enough info to realistically assess your chances of reclaiming any of the charges, but unless you were in severe financial hardship and your bank statements show no luxuries, you have little chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides