Card making and storing supplies

in Crafting
3 replies 849 views
Hi, I am just taking up card making and am gradually getting some supplies, I don't want to go mad and spend a lot of money all at once (though it is tempting) so am just getting the basics to start off with. However, I am just wondering how you people store your supplies. I live in a one bedroomed flat so I don't have a spare room where I can put a desk and have the room dedicated to the craft so I rely on drawers in my living room and I also have a decent sized cubby hole but that houses my printer and cleaning implements so I wouldn't put a desk in there, in fact I have to give up on that idea as I just don't have the space but I'd be interested to know how you store and categories your supplies in a limited space.

Also, do you make cards just when you need them or do them anyway for charity and things.

Replies

• ScrapmateScrapmate Forumite
    84 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are blogs and videos devoted to this subject (try the crafty storage blog). It is something that occupies the mind of every crafter. Whatever space you have it will never be enough. Ikea is a good place for storage items.
    I make cards for specific people but I also have a box of cards, made when I'm trying out new techniques or using a new stamp, that is useful for emergencies.
    Use your stuff challenge 50/50
  • CacranCacran Forumite
    516 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have an old chest of drawers for my crafting things. I also use storage boxes and baskets. It does take up quite a bit of space. I have only been making cards for a few months. I make them as and when I need them. I don't want to do it in a big or expensive way. I use old greeting cards, in the main. I cut out nice images from them, rather than buying and assembling stuff. Lidl often sell craft card, quite cheaply, so I get that. Someone bought me a huge box of notelets, I knew I'd never use them, so have made a stock of Christmas cards, by re covering them. I am very pleased with the results. I write a personal verse in each of them. Good luck.
    Keep on trucking!
  • glynisroseglynisrose Forumite
    199 Posts
    I have two sets of shelves in my living room and on the one occasion when my dining table is in use (christmas) all my stash is put into plastic storage boxes and put on the shelves.
    I use my dining table, a folding table with a long worktop connecting them, to craft on and I make cards when the muse takes me!! My sister and I recently made up several kits we had bought between us, the Hunky Dory one just goes on for ever!! There is so much in the kit I will still be using it next year!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals