Santander make a 21,000% return from me since January

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
6 replies 1.2K views
Andy.T_6Andy.T_6 Forumite
26 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
I went £2.16 overdrawn in january on an account I just haven't used in ages, and I didn't realise. Then I moved house.

I just went into a branch to order a pin number and card update details etc - I think I destroyed the last card - and discovered that a £2.16 debit has now ballooned to £457.06.

This is outrageous. The charge isn't remotely cost reflective. Do I have a leg to stand on of is a fixed £5 per day charge been made officially fine?

Andy

Replies

• bengal-stripebengal-stripe Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy.T wrote: »
    I went £2.16 overdrawn in january on an account I just haven't used in ages.....Then I moved house....

Santander gives you a buffer of £12.00: there are no charges if you are overdrawn less than £12.00. Were you overdrawn by £14.16?

You moved house, did you give the bank your new contact details? Well, if you didn't.....
  • the_insiderthe_insider Forumite
    795 Posts
    How did you become overdrawn on an account that you haven't used for ages?
    Just speak to them, explain you hadn't realised you'd gone overdrawn, ask VERY nicely if they will waive the fees and promise you'll be good for ever more.
    Getting married 02.08.14
    Wins for the wedding: membership for a 'wedsite' and app, £35 gift voucher for party supplies shop, £50 worth of hand painted signs, 1kg of heart shaped marshmallows :money:
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy.T wrote: »
    Then I moved house.

As a result Santander expended time and effort in trying to contact you.
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... 26 posts in 9 years eh?

I wonder if the other 25 so deep in the realms of fantasy as this latest one? :cool:
  • TheMoneyTheMoney Forumite
    104 Posts
    I would assume part of the terms & conditions of your account are that you must keep contact details upto date. By not doing so, your not giving them the chance to inform you of the charges being applied. Aslong as they have notified you of the charges, they have done what they need to, it is your responsibility to keep your details updated. I'm afraid unless Santander are willing to use their discretion to assist you, your going to have to pay it.
  • "The charge isn't remotely cost reflective"

So what? are you suggesting that any service or product has to be at cost price and companies shouldn't make any profit?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals