Young Adults MoneySaving Tips

Options

Comments

• emilejoe
    Options
    If you find something you want to buy, wait a week, and if you still want it then go ahead. Thus one can avoid impulse buying. :)
  • patsy21
    patsy21 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

If I was to give a tip for students or anyone living away from home (with friends/flatmates you know), I would suggest starting a kitty for household items so you can buy them in bulk. This way, you can save a lot of money rather than what most do (take turns and suddenly you're out of toilet roll, it's your turn, and the only option is a £3 4 pack from the corner shop!)

This can also work with stuff like butter, milk, bread etc. and the added bonus is extra storage space!

Also, it's a good idea to seperate bills into seperate people's names: 1. because it's fair, and 2. you're already building up your credit rating (obviously if it's paid on time) 3. if everyone has their own to look after, they're more likely to pay you on time as they know how it feels to have such responsibility.

Another thing is get a bank account that gives you a free 16-25 railcard - SO USEFUL! This applies to regular commuters e.g. 45 min train journey in to uni AND those who go home a few times a year (no matter the distance) as you save so much money - 1/3 a few times really adds up!

Thanks and hope these have helped a little :beer:!
    :)
  • jotty_2
    Options
    1)sign up to market research agencies to earn cash for your opinions

2) sign up for a citizen card, offering discounts on restaurants, shops etc
  • katehem
    Options
    Fancy a free railard? Make sure you check out what's on offer from the various student bank accounts. Santander are currently offering a free railcard for your next 4 years of study - saving you up to 1/3 on rail prices.
  • waterhouse_melons
    Options
    Carpe Diem - Make the most of opportunities. As a 20 year old, I've learned from MSE to enter competitions, join product testing panels, sign up to cashback websites and seize freebies! This attitude gets you places!
    Best Freebies/Wins/Testers so far: HP Officejet Pro 8500, Vax Zen, Thorpe Park Tks, 2x Rockwell Tkts, Windows 7, 2x Chelsea vs Arsenal Tkts, Genio Phone, JLS Tickets, 2 PSP games, 2 Xbox 360 games, iPod Touch, Blackberry Torch, Westlife Tkts, Tinie Tempah tkts, New York Trip AND MORE...
    Thanks to all posters on here:beer::T
  • nemorobinson
    Options
    Complete surveys! Yeah, it takes a little time but you've probably got some experience in buying groceries, mobile phone networks and having a bank account. If you choose a good site (Valued Opinions works great for me) you can earn a tenner in a couple of months to spend in loads of different shops.

Personally, I always choose Amazon and treat myself to books, CDs and DVDs - then I don't have to blow my actual budget on things that aren't essential!
  • Aqeelee
    Options
    Use websites such as Groupon and voucher codes to get discounts on a wide rage of things. Groupon is the best for days out and meals at a fraction of what you would have paid if you didn't buy it from groupon. It's updated everyday so There are different outings to
    Choose from everyday. Also students looking for holidays can find some great deals on Groupon to amazing destinations at a fraction of the price.

Also for Uni students, make a new bank account for Uni as banks have offers for students who are looking to open a account such as free rail card or cinema or other goodies.
    Also for Uni students and Uni related people: Apple offer a student discount online on apple products. You have to buy it through your university network and you save a lot!

Car sharing is the best for a cheap and easy way to get to your destination as helps the environment.

Also apply for a NuS card as you can get a student discount from
    Most retail stores and some food stores.
  • specs125
    Options
    Groupon is a discount voucher site that has massive discounts on a wide range of uk and international holidays (some being all-inclusive, others just acommodation). Their only catch is that you can only book at off-peak times (so students can take advantage of their super long summer and go away before the school holidays begin and prices shoot up)
    If not a student, even better as you may be able to take your holiday at 'super-off peak' times (school and uni term time), where prices are at rock bottom.

Don't ever pay full price for a holiday, there is always a way to reduce the cost, if that means using a discount site, or haggling with a travel agent. You'll be kicking yourself if you do!
  • Princess_Ellie
    Options
    Very simple - Me and my girlfriends all share clothes and shoes,especially 'going out stuff' 'cos so many summer parties becomes very pricey for us (well our parents anyway!). Also dont rule out taking a peak in Mum's or even Nan's wardrobe. We've found some fab 'retro' pieces in both. Also some great quality new and used clothes on e bay, search for lowest postage 1st and you can pick up some great clothes for a few pounds.
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Wait until late August/early September to buy new stationary as its gets heavily reduced, especially at T€sco.

For my books I buy from my college, they have a second hand trade in library and books are usually 50% cheaper depending on condition. Saved me a fortune!
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure