Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

MSE Blog: We’re all going on a Sun £9.50 holiday

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

MSE Blog: We’re all going on a Sun £9.50 holiday

21 replies 5.2K views
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:
We’re all going on a Sun £9.50 holiday

"MSE Paloma, myself and our respective other halves will be heading off to Somerset for four hopefully-sunshine-filled days over the August bank holiday, and for the headline price of just £9.50 each..."

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• edited 24 July 2013 at 11:57PM
    millerosemillerose Forumite
    794 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2013 at 11:57PM
    We're all going on a Sun Holiday Mon-Fri on August Bank holiday (it was £15 though for the summer dates lol) to North Wales, our 3rd visit to the area. Kids love it, we love it! Booking direct was £185 dearer!

This week we booked again a £9.50 Sun holiday next April at Easter. Booking direct was £120 dearer!

Thanks to the Sun Holidays scheme we are able to have a family holiday once a year, providing memories for our children...

Why pay full price for the same thing???
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good way to get a holiday, but only if you buy that 'newspaper', and don't get caught out with added charges
  • StrappedStrapped Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    It's a good way to get a holiday, but only if you buy that 'newspaper', and don't get caught out with added charges

You don't have to buy the newspaper at all once you have been once - just collect the codes and book online :-)

Having said that, we're not going this year. We've had many happy Sun holidays - weeks in France, and long weekends in Cornwall, but this year we can't even afford the travelling :( So staycation it is.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • TallyHoTallyHo Forumite
    2 posts
    [FONT=&quot]We love them and do several each year. You may expect to always be put in the lowest grade accommodation, but we've just come back from a fabulous break on the south coast where we had a high spec caravan with double glazing, heaters in the bedrooms (not needed this weather!) and a huge fridge freezer. Tip - cost it out carefully - if you pick the highest service charge, select all the extras, and are going well out of season (e.g. Mar or Nov), it may be as cheap to book direct. Pick carefully and go closer to high season and you can save a lot. We just use them as a base to explore the area, so don't buy ents passses. However, if you buy the passes and never go off the park, you'll save there too. The next one's booked already.
    [/FONT]
  • rih2010rih2010 Forumite
    33 posts
    We've just returned home from a Sun £9.50 weekend away at the Southview Park Resorts site in Skegness. I was disappointed when we found out from The Sun where and when we were going because they selected our fourth choice destination and our fourth choice of dates. We paid around £150 for three of us which included entertainment passes, bedding, under-occupancy supplement and an upgraded caravan. The equivalent package in an equivalent caravan on the same weekend would have cost over £300 if we'd booked direct with Park Resorts. I can only conclude that it was £150 very well spent. The three nights entertainment was very good, the swimming pool (three visits) was lovely and the Silver standard caravan was very clean and well-equipped (Sony Bravia freeview tv), although the bedrooms were very cramped. Home from home. Check-in and check-out was very quick and easy and the site appeared very well kept.
    One money saving tip for self catering holidays like this is not to buy provisions from the site shop. Take everything you'll need with you or do your homework and work out where the nearest supermarket is. We bought 6 eggs from the site shop and paid £1.75, but would have paid £1 at Tesco. I imagine other similar items will have a similar mark-up.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • :) Anyone want a £9.50 Sun holday? Inadvertantly booked incorrect dates, not school holiday. It is for 4 nights Haven in Weymouth,if interested contact me [email protected] The date is 21/04/2014 Monday to Friday.
  • katherinelckatherinelc Forumite
    31 posts
    10 Posts
    I have over the years booked lots of sun 9.50 holidays and always find that even with the extra charges they still work out considerably cheaper than booking direct with the company, i also know you need quite a good sense of humour to visit some uk holiday camps and i usually go with the flow. I am however worried about this years i have booked Pontins at Pakefield which up until now has only been half board but it was being offered for self catering. So before booking i rung pontins and the camp direct and asked are they having self catering units this year. i was told yes we are having some, so i said will i definitely get one ? i was told if u book self catering yes you will. I have just started looking at the reviews on trip advisor to discover that people booking self catering through the sun are getting there and finding no cookers just a toaster and a microwave !!! I have just rung the camp again to be told there are a few with hobs none with ovens but there aren't enough for every one and no-one is guaranteed one !! they apparently should have been sold as "light self catering" well they werent so im not very happy. i have emailed the sun holiday dept but you can only put 500 characters on the email !! Has anyone else had any luck getting a change of holiday or a refund under similar circumstances ?
  • mewmew Forumite
    1K posts
    :) Anyone want a £9.50 Sun holday? Inadvertantly booked incorrect dates, not school holiday. It is for 4 nights Haven in Weymouth,if interested contact me [email protected] The date is 21/04/2014 Monday to Friday.

I don't think you are supposed to advertise things on here.

Even though the Sun says no amendments, try the contacting the holiday park. As you have a genuine reason they may let you change the date of your holiday, especially if your school holidays are at a quieter time.

(The 21/04 is the second week of our Easter School Holidays here and I'm sure 21st is Easter Monday).
  • sherri01sherri01 Forumite
    27 posts
    10 Posts
    We first went on a Sun holiday back in 2000 with our 5 children + my daughters friend and we have gone once or twice a year since then. The children have outgrown going on hol with parents (youngest being 20) so we now take the Grand kids. They were asked this year if they wanted to go abroad but they were adamant they wanted to go in a caravan.Even with entertainment passes & electricity it works out about 1/2 price, never had a bad one yet & hope to go on many more, just come back from Skipsea Sands, wish we could have stayed longer.:j
  • nickccnickcc Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Daughter and her partner have booked for 1st week in September in North Devon, not sure if I should tell her that there might only be a toaster and microwave as she doesn't have the funds to buy all her main meals from the camp restaurant. Her partner is not really into microwave meals due to being on a hospital diet for his condition.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support