Next Steps Natwest

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
2 replies 1.1K views
5aside5aside Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Hello,

I am currently trying to reclaim some bank charges from Natwest and looking for some advice regarding next steps.

I based my claim on the fact that Natwest recently changed my student account to a normal account, and have deemed that my previous student overdraft, is now an un arranged overdraft. It stands at £1400 currently. However, at least £400 of that is made up of un arranged overdraft fees, which they are taking out on a monthly basis. I have applied for an overdraft which was denied, I also wrote to explain that even when paying £50 into the account in order to try and clear the overdraft it was being taken out again in charges. I am now stuck in this cycle of paying of a useless £50 a month trying to clear the overdraft and some months having it not cover the charges!

Natwest wrote back claiming the charges are completely fair and saying that they are not upholding my complaint.

My question is where do I go from here? regardless of them refunding or not refunding me, the account is just getting stupid now! I live abroad so am unable to 'pop into my local branch to speak to an adviser'.

Any advice?

Thanks all.

Replies

• If you're not convinced with Natwest's answer then you could try the Financial Ombudsman.

Personally I wish you luck. There's many things I could say about Natwest. None of them good.
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    5aside wrote: »
    Hello,

I am currently trying to reclaim some bank charges from Natwest and looking for some advice regarding next steps.

I based my claim on the fact that Natwest recently changed my student account to a normal account, and have deemed that my previous student overdraft, is now an un arranged overdraft. It stands at £1400 currently. However, at least £400 of that is made up of un arranged overdraft fees, which they are taking out on a monthly basis. I have applied for an overdraft which was denied, I also wrote to explain that even when paying £50 into the account in order to try and clear the overdraft it was being taken out again in charges. I am now stuck in this cycle of paying of a useless £50 a month trying to clear the overdraft and some months having it not cover the charges!

Natwest wrote back claiming the charges are completely fair and saying that they are not upholding my complaint.

My question is where do I go from here? regardless of them refunding or not refunding me, the account is just getting stupid now! I live abroad so am unable to 'pop into my local branch to speak to an adviser'.

Any advice?

Thanks all.

Why did the bank change your account?
    Are you no longer a student and so no longer eligible for a student account?

"Natwest wrote back claiming the charges are completely fair and saying that they are not upholding my complaint. "
    Do you disagree with this assertion by the bank??
    Unfortunately the FOS will not help you over the fairness or otherwise of bank charges as it is not within their remit (and the supreme court ruling in 2009 and the OFT' decision to give up were the final nails in the coffin as far as the FOS and unfair bank charges were concerned)

If you wish to pursue a claim for unfair charges, you'll have to go to court.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/oft-bank-charges
    Note the warning that no one has yet succeeded.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals