🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Faulty Goods purchased on charge card

Options
Hi,

Couple of queries here. Firstly, do you have the same rights if you purchase something on a charge card (Amex Gold rewards card) as a credit card?

Secondly, and the reason im posting, can you claim a refund either directly with a company or via the credit card company for goods that have proven faulty after initial use? I purchased a golf travel bag last week and went on a short trip away. On collecting my bag after the return flight, there is a relatively large (and increasing) hole in one seam. Ive used this product as I intended and it has broken after 2 trips which is pretty frustrating. I also have travel insurance so I dont know if that is an option too as it may be due to mishandling by baggage handlers but I obviously have no way of knowing that?

Does anyone know what my options are and/or have experienced something similar?

Thanks

Comments

• reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Couple of queries here. Firstly, do you have the same rights if you purchase something on a charge card (Amex Gold rewards card) as a credit card?

Secondly, and the reason im posting, can you claim a refund either directly with a company or via the credit card company for goods that have proven faulty after initial use? I purchased a golf travel bag last week and went on a short trip away. On collecting my bag after the return flight, there is a relatively large (and increasing) hole in one seam. Ive used this product as I intended and it has broken after 2 trips which is pretty frustrating. I also have travel insurance so I dont know if that is an option too as it may be due to mishandling by baggage handlers but I obviously have no way of knowing that?

Does anyone know what my options are and/or have experienced something similar?

Thanks
    First of all, Amex opted in contractually to the same protection, I'd give them a ring. If the worse happens you should still be covered under Amex's purchase protection (Although there is a £50 excess).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As has already been said, Amex are not legally obliged to offer the same protection as Section 75 but they do provide it as a 'perk'.

So far as your situation with the golf bag is concerned, you should approach the retailer in the first instance. You should base your claim on the fact that the goods are not fit for purpose/faulty.

If you have no luck with them (you could take it further but for the sake of ease) your next point of call should be the manufacturer. A simple polite email often works - although I believe they have no obligation to provide a replacement as your 'contract' is with the seller.

Finally, speak to the card issuer and they should deal with the claim. If it is Amex then you should be fine under one of the following covers (from the Amex website):

Eligible items you buy on your card in the UK have Refund Protection. Items are covered up to 90 days and we’ll replace or refund up to a maximum of £300. Even if the retailer won't.

or

You also get Purchase Protection. If you bought it on your Card and it’s stolen or damaged within 90 days, we'll replace or repair it, or refund you up to £2,500 per eligible item.
  • jelajelavic
    jelajelavic Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK so I spoke to the retailer who said I could return the faulty item as it was less than 30 days and I would be given a refund, happy days. However, I have now had another issue with goods purchased on my Amex. I made an order on ASOS and kept some items but returned £200 of items through their Collect + service. It seems like Collect + have lost my returned package based on the tracker system and speaking to their customer services. ASOS should still refund me the £200 but I was wondering if Amex would refund these lost returned items if ASOS become difficult. Does anyone have any experience of a situation like this?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    No. Proof of return is required - you would claim off the carrier.
  • jelajelavic
    jelajelavic Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do have proof of return (you get one when sending via Collect +) and already spoken to ASOS so I'm fully expecting ASOS to refund the money (so supplier not carrier.

I was asking as I'm interested if I could get money back from Amex if ASOS started being funny and didn't refund the money in the end and if anyone has had similar situations in the past? As I've technically purchased something through my Amex which is not suitable and returned to the supplier, with the carrier appearing to lose it in transit.
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was asking as I'm interested if I could get money back from Amex if ASOS started being funny and didn't refund the money in the end and if anyone has had similar situations in the past? As I've technically purchased something through my Amex which is not suitable and returned to the supplier, with the carrier appearing to lose it in transit.

The fact that you purchased something that was unsuitable and you returned it is at that point irrelevant. The only issue that matters is that you returned something by courier and the courier lost it, at this point Amex were not involved.

......If ASOS were to say that they didn't receive a parcel but you have proof that it was delivered to them, then potentially you could involve the credit card company again, as the only thing that then matters is that the item was returned, but it wasn't refunded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport