Unfair charges dispute with VERY...help!!!

edited 16 July 2013 at 2:36PM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
2 replies 843 views
cloud09_2cloud09_2 Forumite
21 Posts
Hi,

Not sure if I am posting in the right area, but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

I have an account with VERY to which I pay 5-10% of my salary each month, mostly because of their extortionate APR (49.9%...no idea why it has increased to this over the years) and 'account charges' (need to look into this too). My beef with them at the moment is an admin charge of £12 for late payment on my account in June. Payment was due on the 14 June 2013, and I paid the amount using my usual Visa Debit card on their website on the same date. I received an email from them on this date also which confirms they received my payment (pending clearance).

The following week I was in hospital (appendicitis) and came home several days later to my statement and letter of admin charges to the alleged late payment. Naturally I was angry and upset to have received this especially since just leaving hospital, still in pain, and having made the payment on time. So I emailed them and explained everything, to which they responded the charge was 'valid' because they didn't 'receive payment' until 15 June 2013, but out of goodwill, they have refunded the charge to my account, but it is still classed as a late payment. As you can imagine, I was still angry and sent a further email stating I believed the charge was not valid as I made the payment on time. I demanded an immediate response and confirmation that my credit status will not be affected, also that I would just be paying of my account and closing it as a result of their unfairness. Unfortunately I have not received a response to this. I am pretty sure the above will also have an impact on my PPI reclaim I am about to submit to them but will cross that bridge when it comes!

I have been racking my brains to work out why they classed my payment as late..to no avail. If I use my debit card in a supermarket for goods for example, they don't say I have to wait until the next day to take my shopping home as that's when the payment will have cleared. Can anyone tell me if I am just being a snotty customer or am I in the right?

Cheers for your help :):):)

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    they have refunded the charge to my account, but it is still classed as a late payment. As you can imagine, I was still angry

The fact is that it was a late payment. So, why are you angry as they are only reporting a fact.
    sent a further email stating I believed the charge was not valid as I made the payment on time.

If payment wasnt received until 15th June and it had to be there before 14th June then it wasnt on time. However, they refunded the charge as a goodwill gesture. So, no point arguing about the fee.
    I have been racking my brains to work out why they classed my payment as late

It was a day late using what you described here.
    If I use my debit card in a supermarket for goods for example, they don't say I have to wait until the next day to take my shopping home as that's when the payment will have cleared.

They dont. However, the funds take a few days to be sorted.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cloud09_2cloud09_2 Forumite
    21 Posts
    Thanks dunstonh!;)

I guess I see it as the transaction was made on the due date, therefore payment was made on time, thus charge not applicable.

Just going to PM you a question - hope you can help!

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals