Oban - with a toddler!

Options
Skint_Catt
Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
Any suggestions on family friendly eateries, toddler parks/play centres, activities, sights to see with a toddler, etc for a week in Oban at the beginning of August?

She's a nightmare to eat out with, but we'd like to try it once or twice if we find the right place :o Looks like we'll miss out on the posh seafood restaurants & the distillary tour as she's too young :(

Comments

• scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About 15 minutes outside Oban is the original Sea Life Centre. It's not as fancy as the one at North Queensferry but closer to nature in my view. I haven't been for a number of years but we directed friends with three year old twins there last year and they had a great time.

http://www.sealsanctuary.co.uk/introban.html
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All toddlers are a nightmare, don't fret ................. teenagers are much worse. :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    All toddlers are a nightmare, don't fret ................. teenagers are much worse. :rotfl:

:rotfl: I'm sure they come with their own set of problems but at least they'd sit at a table in a restaurant or go to the cinema, or even stay in their room entertaining themselves! ;):D
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't eat at the Sea Life Centre it is really expensive and the food is pretty gross.

I recommend Piazza (on the pier, you can watch the boats whilst you eat), Oban Fish and Chip shop at the top of George Street and for picnics if the weather is nice I REALLY recommend Piece in Argyll Square, great sandwich shop with local meats, homemade cakes etc.
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    Brilliant zaxdog, that's a great help. Really looking forward to it - just hope it stays reasonably warm for us southerners! :)
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Let her expend her energy running along Ganavan Sands north of Oban, that'll wear her out! Another energy-expending option are the forest walks, check out the Forestry Commission's website for close locations (eg Glen Nant).

Has she ever watched Balamory? You could take a ferry ride over to Mull and then catch a coach to Tobermory, where it was filmed.

If you're really stuck and want a comprehensive list of ideas, drop me a PM and I'll email one of my old friends up there that has small children :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • davmail
    davmail Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    Oban is lovely, we took our 'toddler' there years ago,he is now 24!!!
    Do take the boat to Mull,most kids love boats,you can go there and back without getting off,but Duart Castle is well worth a visit,free bus from the terminal at Mull.You can buy tickets for the castle at the ferry terminal when you get the boat tickets,hope you have a real good time.
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    Thanks davmail - I think we may take our DD to 'Balamory' & have a good look round Mull if we get the chance :)
  • A_LANCASHIRE_LAD_2
    Options
    Just sent you a PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills