🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Reapplying to the same CC company

Options
I recently had a 0% MBNA card which ran out in May, so I cancelled. I was toying with applying for a Virgin card (MBNA group) but is it too soon? Will they see that I recently had an MBNA GROUP card and refuse me? I have also considered a Halifax One card, I had one last year but its about 12 months since I cancelled it. This seems safer but it does carry a BT fee and the max amount I will be transferring to it is £3300. The question I ask you folks is > which option seems the most successful? I don't want a BT fee but Above all I DO NOT WANT A REJECTION as it will still be registered as a creidt search. Thanks.

Comments

• fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would say, you probably wouldn't be accepted for the Virgin card.

It depends whether after closing down an MBNA backed card, you can apply for another MBNA backed card. I don't know myself if they treat each card seperately.

Someone here is likely to know about the above, or you probably can find the answer by googling it and looking around.

As for the Halifax card, well I would assume you have left enough time to be considered a new customer, but no one here is going to be able to say, whether you would pass their credit checks. I guess the same even if you would be eligible to apply for the Virgin card, no one again, can say for definite you would be accepted.

In general, if you do get a Virgin card, keep it open, even if you get a zero balance on it. I have extremely regular, repeat 0% offers, both on balance transfers and handily money transfers. I've also had 0% repeat purchase offers.

Many people close these cards that do 0% money transfers down and then regret it, as it can provide a very cheap loan, to pay off anything such as other cards, loans or catalouge accounts. Or even if you fancy something for say £2k and then spread it out over 12 months with just 4% or 5% interest.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The https://www.stoozing.com website used to have a table showing exactly the detail you want but the current version of the site has no data against any card issuer!!! http://www.stoozing.com/credit-cards/credit-card-suppliers.php

Some issuers will allow new applications from existing customers. I used to have 3 mbna-operated cards at the same time (now zero), so you might be okay.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    I have mbna & virgin, and with regular usage the deals do come back round (both have 12 month offers on them at the moment)..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport