We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Standing Charge :( where to switch to?

24

Comments

  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    I'm afraid you've completely lost me here. Are you admitting you were wrong in a sort of roundabout, Wywth, way? ;)
    No, what I am saying is that the OP needs to use a comparison site to find the best deal for her as I initially pointed out.

    Do you think that is incorrect or otherwise poor advice??? :huh:
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Admittedly I've only had a cursory look but I would predict that the OP's consumption would actually suggest that splitting the fuels between different suppliers would be the cheapest option here. But of course, unlike some, I would be only to happy to admit I was wrong if proved otherwise. ;)

    ... and to do that , you would consult ... wait for it ... yes, a comparison site :cool:
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    We could continue this forever. We need to bring in Harry Hill...
  • Wywth wrote: »
    ... and to do that , you would consult ... wait for it ... yes, a comparison site :cool:


    Where have I stated in this thread the the OP shouldn't consult a comparison site? Where do you think I got the prices from in post #2, for instance? I have no idea where you are getting this from, apart from attempting to cover up your error. I've no idea why some posters have a problem with admitting they were wrong; is it an ego thing?
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Where have I stated in this thread the the OP shouldn't consult a comparison site? Where do you think I got the prices from in post #2, for instance? I have no idea where you are getting this from, apart from attempting to cover up your error. I've no idea why some posters have a problem with admitting they were wrong; is it an ego thing?

    What error have I made? :huh: Or was this a error on your part? ;)

    I suggested the OP consult a comparison site, and you now acknowledge that was exactly what you did, so presumably my advice was not in error, but good advice :)
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2013 at 10:33AM
    Anyway, back to the OP. If you could provide your billing region I for one would be only too willing to hit the COMPARISON SITES and find the best way forward for you. I have a feeling it may involve separate suppliers for gas and electric (as i hinted at in post #2 before all the nonsense ensued) but only time will tell.
  • Wywth wrote: »
    What error have I made? :huh: Or was this a error on your part? ;)

    I suggested the OP consult a comparison site, and you now acknowledge that was exactly what you did, so presumably my advice was not in error, but good advice :)

    Oh dear. Perhaps you missed this line in the OP
    So, I've had a look at other suppliers using uswitch, but I'm at a loss, I need to find cheapest gas supplier with NO standing charge
    ( as that's what will cripple me ). There's no much information still out there I'm numb from looking.

    So in what way was your suggestion helpful? Last time I checked uswitch was a comparison site. As opposed to mine asking for the billing area so I COULD HELP THE OP IN THEIR SEARCH? Anyway, stop derailing the thread with your ego, I for one am here to help the OP not pander to someone's over-inflated opinion of themselves.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Oh dear. Perhaps you missed this line in the OP



    So in what way was your suggestion helpful? Last time I checked uswitch was a comparison site. As opposed to mine asking for the billing area so I COULD HELP THE OP IN THEIR SEARCH? Anyway, stop derailing the thread with your ego, I for one am here to help the OP not pander to someone's over-inflated opinion of themselves.
    I suggest you read the response I gave to the OP in post#3 ;)
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi,

    I've been with NPower for years ( yes I know *sigh* )

    Recently they introduced a new way of working out the bill for GAS.

    The problem is, because of the small amount of gas I use per year, I'm now facing a £200 hike. Here's an example from the bill I just paid yesterday...
    9th April 2013 to 30th April 2013 = 32 kWh @ 7.245p = £2.32
    1st May 2013 to 26th July 2013 = 64 kWh @ 3.642p = £2.33

    Standing charge to cover the period @ 45.1p per day = £25.71
    that comes to £30.36 then add the vat @ 5% and total is £31.88
    ( for using a total of 96 kWh of gas ! )

    Half of you might be saying wow.. that's not much gas.. and the others might be saying so it's only £31.88 where the problem?

    Well, I have a VERY limited income and I use very little gas per year as I KNOW I can not afford to use any more than I do. The standing charge has effectively added £200 to my yearly GAS bill, and I simply DO NOT have it, or will ever have it.
    As an indicator to finances, I'll let you know my FOOD budget per week is limited to £10. This budget was set BEFORE Npower changed their charging tariff methods.

    So, I've had a look at other suppliers using uswitch, but I'm at a loss, I need to find cheapest gas supplier with NO standing charge
    ( as that's what will cripple me ). There's no much information still out there I'm numb from looking.

    Does anyone have any pointers? Npower say my yearly usage of gas is 1277kWh, and electric it's 2795kWh, although when I was working it out from previous bills I came to 2300kWh electric.

    Hi SeriouslyStressed,

    Have you spoke to us about this, as we may be able to offer other options to you? Just pop us a call on 0800 073 3000 or 0330 100 3000 from a mobile :)

    Best wishes,

    Adam :)
    “Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Hi, thanks for the replies, I shall look into those two #2 suggestions :beer: MillicentBystander :beer: and area is North Cumbria CA11.

    and Hi Adam....the nPower company representative

    I DID phone your lot... explained my problems and was told in the nicest possible way I had the option of having the gas cut off ( since I wasn't using much ) or to just look elsewhere as everyone now has to pay the standing charge. The man was ok about it, not aggressive, actually sympathetic to my situation but said there was nothing he could do.

    Shame I have GAS CENTRAL HEATING that gives me hot water and I also have a GAS COOKER. *sigh*

    I've ALWAYS paid my bills on time, never had cause for complaint etc, so it's a shame it's come to this. I told him I felt like I was being penalized for NOT using enough gas, and he said well you're not being penalized, it's just that since you don't use much gas you'll feel the effects of the surcharge more
    ( too blummin right ! )
    Which is why it looks like I need to bail out and switch as I need to catch this BEFORE it becomes a major problem financially.


    Some of you may now be wondering... but that's not a lot of GAS usage.. for someone who has GAS central Heating and a GAS cooker...

    and you'd be right... I almost freeze in winter and can't really afford to cook too often so it's quick microwave stuff and sandwiches.

    I can tell you I don't mind the cold too much but can also tell you that once you get to 8*C and even with 3 layers of clothing on, it's PHYSICALLY painful. The only time the central heating goes on is when it kicks in itself at 5*C to prevent freezing pipes.

    I'll pre-empt the next question and reply upfront.

    I have a long term disability, I'm pretty much housebound, rarely going out to shops etc, only when strictly needing to.

    I'm NOT a pensioner.... I do not get or am entitled to DLA or PiP, I get £11 a week housing benefit towards my £108 a week rent, I Pay my FULL council tax bill ( less the 25% single occupancy deduction since I live alone ), so I'm still paying £930 a year and I guess since it jumps up £90 a year next years will be over £1,000.

    I pay dental costs, optician costs, prescription costs etc

    I shop in Aldi, I don't drink or smoke, I don't spend money socializing, I don't have holidays, I don't even have a TV licence now, I gave up watching telly so I have a few more quid a week for food. ( thank you BBC iPlayer for the only two progs I watched anyways )

    I think that's pretty much the general scene of my life, so I hope you can see money is 'tight', especially now that I'm paying around £22 a month for over the counter pain killers, a prescription and for replacement TENS electrode pads to help cope with certain pains.
    :confused: single forever, not looking. Don't drink, don't smoke. Oh what a Happy Bunny !!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.