Forum Home» Freebies (no spend required)» Freebies gone but not forgotten

MSE News: Colgate forgets its toothbrush in promo fail, as it's kicked off...

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Colgate forgets its toothbrush in promo fail, as it's kicked off...

edited 12 July 2013 at 2:31PM in Freebies gone but not forgotten
171 replies 28.8K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 12 July 2013 at 2:31PM in Freebies gone but not forgotten
"Red-faced Colgate was forced to close a stand at Waterloo offering free £170 electric toothbrushes after it was swamped..."
Read the full story:

Colgate forgets its toothbrush in promo fail, as it's kicked off Waterloo station

Also see our updated news story from 10.07.13:

Colgate to give away 7,000 electric toothbrushes after Waterloo station fiasco

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Have you got a free toothbrush?

If you have let us know and post your pics

Replies

• bdb303bdb303 Forumite
    12 posts
    Was there at 7am. Within half an hour, the queues were so long that network rail forced them to shut the stall down. Was then handed a leaflet, which would supposedly guarantee a toothbrush if I came back between 10.30 and 7 - but as it's now become clear they've completely shut down for the day. Curious to see how Colgate will handle this public relations nightmare... a lot of people were very upset, particularly since many showed up early enough to get one for sure...
  • magicbucksmagicbucks Forumite
    257 posts
    bdb303 wrote: »
    Was there at 7am. Within half an hour, the queues were so long that network rail forced them to shut the stall down. Was then handed a leaflet, which would supposedly guarantee a toothbrush if I came back between 10.30 and 7 - but as it's now become clear they've completely shut down for the day. Curious to see how Colgate will handle this public relations nightmare... a lot of people were very upset, particularly since many showed up early enough to get one for sure...

Hi Like you I was there then too it was carnage

I was given a form which I have and was asked to fill it in and to come back after 1030

I went back to waterloo station at 11 whole thing was closed

The thing that really annoys me is I called the 00800 customer complaints line at 915 this morning and no one told me it was closed when I said I was going down after 1030

I also asked why didnt they hand in forms get the peoplle to fill them in qand come back later with ID and do the awapover part- honestly it was shocking

I called and spoke to a amn earlier when i rang the main number and advised what happened and I have my form and have now gone twice

Its not good its not fair on the people who were the legitimate ones there for the first 750 toothbrushes and colgate need to honour any of those ones for those people
  • razamrazam Forumite
    131 posts
    My multi-quotes from the other thread...
    razam wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a thread for the 'live' swapping at Waterloo. It was advertised to start at 7am. I got there at 7.10am & the queue was already about 400 people long!
    By 7.40am the queue had lengthened to the whole concourse & the station management shut it down :(. I over heard some people had been in the queue for over an hour and half!

I spoke to a few Colgate reps, and all said it was stopped on health & safety grounds - they had no idea if, or when, it was going to start again. So much for the positive marketing from Colgate :mad:
    Came back from Waterloo about 10 mins ago. I was lucky enough to 'shoulder' my way to the centre - right in front the booth. I would say there were about 100 people all crowding round the booth (no queue). No colgate staff to be seen. Police came after a while asking people to leave. Then a poor bloke who didnt work for colgate got told to put up posters saying the BrushSwap was closed for today!

What a waste of time :(

The poster advised to keep checking #brushswap for updates. @colgateuk have said they are looking at ways to re-open again this week - so no guarantees!
    I see MSE are still to update there "Current Colgate Deals" page. it would be a shame if someone went down to Waterloo on the back of reading the Newsletter.
  • birdstillbirdstill Forumite
    94 posts
    I was there at around 10 passed 8am.

some people were holding some kind of form printed on white paper. seems like that is some kind of guarantee. but then a young female colgate personnel told me a leaflet is definitely fine too...and they will start at 10:30 (to avoid the rush hour I guess)

got a leaflet, went back at 10:30, the stand is closed.
    a policeman told me they closed the stand soon after 8:30am.

oh well.

just feel sorry for the old people who have to stand there so long for an answer.

this is a PR disaster, a laughing stock.

meanwhile, I noticed some smart guys are selling their non-functioning toothbrush on ebay for 10 pounds ...
    back to London;):beer:
  • edited 9 July 2013 at 12:03PM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July 2013 at 12:03PM
    I can see we are in the first teeth of Colgategate here

Not sure how easily they will be able to brush this one off :D
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • edited 9 July 2013 at 11:58AM
    razamrazam Forumite
    131 posts
    edited 9 July 2013 at 11:58AM
    In principle the people with forms should be honoured - however the reality is that when the word started going round that they were closing, people rushed forward to get more infor & they got forms.

So there are some people who will have forms, who were behind people in the queue who don't have forms. In this case it would be unfair to give out the toothbrushes to those with forms.

I was told to leave & come back at 10.30am. I wasn't given a form, or a leaflet or anything - I wasn't told it was required. I don;t feel I should be penalised, for Colgate's misinformation, ahead of someone who rushed infront of me and got a form.

They should have counted 750 people, and then stood a rep at the back of the queue & told newcomers to come again 2moro. instead they allowed the queue to swell up to - what looked like - over a 1000 people!

Its also a disgrace that they tell people to come back at 10.30, and then people take more time out of their day, only to be told that they are closed for the day.

a complete mess!
  • liz545liz545 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    A busy commuter rail station at rush hour is a terrible place for this kind of promotion - Waterloo is crammed at rush hour with people getting trains and it's entirely predictable that Network Rail would shut it down due to overcrowding. If they're planning to repeat the promotion next week at Victoria, it's only going to happen again.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • I too was there and also queued for over an hour and was nearly at the front of the queue when the stand was closed. We were advised to leave and so I left, however it appears that forms were given out after this point. I would be interested to see how Colgate try to repair this disaster.

I think its important to say how sorry I felt for the promotional team on the stand. Some of them appeared very concerned about how the crowd would react at the closure of the stand with one commenting "we will get lynched". They were only trying to do their job and we must not direct our anger at them.

The Colgate marketing department should know better! Don't over promise and under deliver. You must have known how popuar this promotion would be.
  • birdstillbirdstill Forumite
    94 posts
    I agree with you, though I might be too late for the first batch.

:rotfl:

I got up at 7am, and oh man, what a struggle it is to get off my bed!!
    In principle the people with forms should be honoured - however the reality is that when the word started going round that they were closing, people rushed forward to get more infor & they got forms.

So there are some people who will have forms, who were behind people in the queue who don't have forms. In this case it would be unfair to give out the toothbrushes to those with forms.

They should have counted 750 people, and then stood a rep at the back of the queue & told newcomers to come again 2moro. instead they allowed the queue to swell up to - what looked like - over a 1000 people!

Its also a disgrace that they tell people to come back at 10.30, and then people take more time out of their day, only to be told that they are closed for the day.

a complete mess!
    back to London;):beer:
  • I was there around 07:30, did not get a toothbrush, did not get a leaflet, the place looked like a right mess with people pushing each other in a rather chaotic and disorderly manner.

Online brush swap is still closed.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support