Do you travel with or without travel insurance?

Options

Comments

• billshep
    billshep Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would never bother for the UK (it used to annoy me when they tried to flog you insurance when booking train tickets online - why would I want to be insured for a day trip to London?), but always when going abroad in case anything serious enough happens where you need to get flown back, or undergo major treatment.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've got a holiday booked for October to get away to Canada, I will get travel insurance just before I pay the remaining balance off in full, no point in paying out early for a product to protect my £100 deposit.
  • jollymummy
    jollymummy Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    I usually do.however, last year I didn't bother and ended up cancelling my holiday as I was rushed into hospital for an operation, on the week I was due to be away.
    It turned out holiday insurance was automatically included in my holidays terms and conditions, so I received a refund less a £35 admin fee.
    I was very relieved.
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • Diving_Grandma
    Options
    We recently took my mother to France for a short motoring holiday. We got EHIC-plus insurance at a total of £26 for the 2 of us (both over 65). Trying to insure a reasonably fit and active 90 year old was another matter. Costs ranged from £40 to well over £200! She already had her EHIC, and hadn't paid anything towards the holiday, so didn't need anything that offered financial compensation for delays etc - we chose the £40 option. Thankfully none of us needed to make a claim. I wonder where other oldies find reasonably priced insurance?
  • nicky.r.newman
    Options
    Yes the banks do offer travel insurance (usually if you pay extra for your account) but pre existing medical conditions and the length of the holiday push the prices way up. My husband was quoted nearly £300 for medical insurance!
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    Ive travelled without before but have just bought an annual policy, cost me £32 and I had a couple of medical conditions I had to disclose so without them it would have been cheaper. Cost me £3 extra for disclosing them, I have a bruised tailbone at the moment and Ive seen my GP over the last year for stress due to previous work issues. Took me a while to find a reasonable quote due to this but managed it in the end and thought I might as well buy annual cover just incase I go away again sometime over the next year.

I have an EHIC as well.
  • lamanva
    lamanva Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I am 73 with serious preexisting medical conditions and until now I have had increasing difficulty, if at all, in getting travel cover to visit our grandchildren in Canada.

My wife is a member of the Civil Service Pensioner's Alliance. As from 1 April 2013 the CSPA offer comprehensive worldwide, annual wide travel cover to all members and families, through Axa PPP Healthcare.

Pre-existing medical conditions are covered, and provided a member is fit travel, and not terminally ill, they will be covered to travel worldwide. And joint annual cover is only £185.
  • chunkychocky
    chunkychocky Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lamanva wrote: »
    I am 73 with serious preexisting medical conditions and until now I have had increasing difficulty, if at all, in getting travel cover to visit our grandchildren in Canada.

My wife is a member of the Civil Service Pensioner's Alliance. As from 1 April 2013 the CSPA offer comprehensive worldwide, annual wide travel cover to all members and families, through Axa PPP Healthcare.

Pre-existing medical conditions are covered, and provided a member is fit travel, and not terminally ill, they will be covered to travel worldwide. And joint annual cover is only £185.

Reads like an advert to me.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have two annual policies, one for my wife and I and the other for Business travel, I wouldnt be without it, especially after seeing how quickly costs can rack up.

I gashed my leg whilst on holiday in florida, nothing serious but needed about 5 stitches, and the bill came to $1,500.
  • janiebquick
    janiebquick Posts: 432 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would never dream of it for travel in the UK, but we do have an annual policy for travel outside the UK - we shop around and our latest is with Swiftcover. I do have a pre-exisrting condition, but don't bother to declare it as I am very unlikely to either have to cancel a holiday or come home early because of it.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure