We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gas/electricty pre-payment

Bryando
Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
If I fail the credit check British Gas will do in order to have credit meters installed. How much will I need to pay as deposit and would it be for both meters? Will British Gas supply the credit reference people monthly on my activity, as I read they only report not paying etc? Thinking of a means to improve my scoring.

Thanks

Comments

  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    British Gas no longer take a security deposit, so if you do not meet the credit check they won't offer you credit.
    If you have credit/billing meters they report to Experian both paying on time and not paying.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    You should certainly expect to see information about your account registered on your credit report each month. It's more and more common to find details of utilities on credit reports.

    James
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

    Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Who does accept a deposit as if somebody else does I have no issue about leaving British Gas?
  • sithmaster
    sithmaster Posts: 311 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Bryando wrote: »
    Who does accept a deposit as if somebody else does I have no issue about leaving British Gas?

    I had the same problem went to edf just over a year ago, no credit check just had to be on prepayment for 28 days and when new meters installed pay by dd, installed the meters free as well, not sure if they still do this.
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    Scottish Power take a £150 deposit if you fail the credit check. I've no idea if this is for everyone who fails a credit check or just those above a certain tolerance, as I'm trying to go in the other direction.
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.