We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Warm Home Discount

I'm currently with npower & receive the warm home discount.

However, I'm going to switch to another supplier & was wondering whether ALL suppliers offer this discount & if so do you just contact the new supplier & gave them your entitlement details?

Comments

  • jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    No, not all do - the WHD page on direct.gov lists those that offer it. You'll also need to check that you meet the criteria as these vary between providers.
  • Thanks I will have a look.

    If each companies criteria varies, should I be contacting them before I switch?
  • jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    Thanks I will have a look.

    If each companies criteria varies, should I be contacting them before I switch?

    Yes, or check the criteria on the individual websites. If anyone tells you it is only for those on Pension Credit, tell them you believe you should qualify under the 'Broader Group' criteria.
  • Hillards
    Hillards Posts: 53 Forumite
    Yes, or check the criteria on the individual websites. If anyone tells you it is only for those on Pension Credit, tell them you believe you should qualify under the 'Broader Group' criteria.

    Ouch! I've just ended a long standing (36 years) relationship with npower over this, because they fobbed me off saying I didn't qualify for their broader group. None of the responses ever came from the department who deal with the application so this was one of many things I eventually took to the Ombudsman. npower continued to tell the same tale and the ombudsman has to accept what they are told by the energy company, so I've kicked npower into touch and moved to e:on who also have a broader group and said that I do qualify.

    Thanks to the Cheap Energy Club on MSE I will save about £170 a year, plus I'll get £20 a year in rewards and £30 cashback for changing. I'll also get the £135 Warm Home Discount - just because npower P'd me off enough to look into this
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.