PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dress disaster overted the OS way

Options
Hi,

Thought I'd share my recent experience (and a lesson about buying on ebay!).
I've just been to a wedding, and thinking I was being both organised and thrifty bought my dress secondhand on ebay last summer. The dress arrived and it was lovely but seemed quite tight, so thought I'd have to loose a few pounds. It went into the wardrobe and I forgot about it for several months.
Much nearer the time I dug said dress out and tried it on again, it still seemed very tight under my arms and the bust line didn't quite sit right. It suddenly occured to me the straps had been shortened, and furthur investigation showed they had, and quite a sizable chunk had been cut out (god knows what shape the previous owner of the dress was!). I'd had the dress for too long to get my money back of the seller, so I was faced with possibly needing to get a new dress at short notice.
Then I had the idea of sewing on ribbon in place of the missing bit of strap - total cost 40p! Hopefully it doesn't look too shabby (or obvious).

Hmm, thought I'd added a picture - bear with me while I try again...

photo#5071594206274416146

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Great job, Niki :T :T :T Very moneysaving solution to your dilema too :D And no, it does not look at all shabby!!

Hope you had a fun time at the wedding :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done Niki! I'm not good at getting ideas for sorting things like this - I'd have probably had to buy something else!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • mum2kathryn
    mum2kathryn Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I'm trying again with the photo as I can't see it in Mozilla!

Niki

DSCF0207-2.jpg
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Well done I think it looks great. You've ended up with something unique, stylish & VERY OS.
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Your dress alterations look lovely and totally in keeping.

I am a size 10 waist but only size 8 hips so a lot of my things have to go for alteration. I would never sell on eBay without mentioning that things were not quite standard size. I am very lucky that a friend and close neighbour is a seamstress and she does all our alterations. Had to do a fair bit of tweaking with my Mother of the Bride outfit and she did all DD's wedding dress alterations - the shop was charging £50 for each fitting. A bit rich when you spend all that money on a wedding dress, I think!

Hope you enjoyed the wedding.

GB
  • Flimsy
    Flimsy Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Nice bit of rescue there :T

I'm with you on the different size waist/hips thing Grannybroon, I'd be over the moon to find pants and jeans that don't have to be hitched up every 5 minutes. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport