PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I whisk trifle custard?

Options
Quick quest that'll no doubt be moved to a different thread once the original, immediate question has been answered, but ...

I forget, when I make trifle from scratch, that proper jelly in a box doesn't set as quickly as the quick gel that comes with a Birds trifle kit. I also use blancmange rather than custard because of the extra flavours.

If I go out tonight and come back to a blancmange set in the shape of the Pyrex jug it's currently in, can I whisk it or warm it through in the microwave so it can be poured on the jelly when it's set?

I always forget and end up doing the custard/blancmange far too soon.

Thanks in advance.
spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even when my mum makes really thick custard for her trifles, she always whisked hers before putting it on the trifle. Can't see why blancmange would be different, so I would say yes, give it a go.
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    I nearly always make my custard too thick for trifle, and whisk it to loosen it up. A few lumps don't hurt once it's mixed with jelly and cream.

I only make trifle at Christmas now because I can't resist eating it for breakfast!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, both, for taking the trouble to reply. I just got in from a night out and, sure enough, the blancmange/custard was set to the shape of the Pyrex jug it's in. I've whisked it, though, and tipped it onto the jelly, and it looks great. Can't wait till tomorrow ... um, later today ... to try it.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So glad you saved the custard! You have started something now, I feel a need to make a trifle! :D
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • spendaholic
    Options
    catznine: Trifle is so moreish, and there's so much you can do with it. I can't resist it. There's only me but a whole trifle only lasts a day or so. I don't like sherry or chocolate trifle, but the rest - yum.
  • spendaholic
    Options
    2865791260046703426LDJKlw_th.jpg

Okay, this is my first pic posting - bear with me ... :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport