We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Turning off plugs -stopped turning on tv a lot more !!

mumofthetwins
mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
Hi everyone ...
Last month I decided I was gonna up my game and start shopping/spending better
Well my mum had bought me one of those energy monitors a while ago so I decided to connect it up last week ....
There's me and my 2 boys (both 10) we have now turned off every plug in the house overnight and before we go out through the day (only fridge and cooker still on)
I am saving a fortune ... I'm now averaging 70p/day ... That's without changing any other habits, still using dishwasher/washing machine etc..
I have found I've stopped turning the tv on for background noise and the boys even turn their stuff off without being told and beer we go to bed/out for the day they check the monitor to make sure nothing has been left on ... :D

Just thought I would share as I didn't think it would really make that much difference !!
DFW
January £0/£11,100

NSD
January 1/31
«1

Comments

  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    It just shows... these days any reduced bill helps with the housekeeping.
    I turn off lights and unplug here everyday to keep the electric bill low.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • marmitepotato
    marmitepotato Posts: 986 Forumite
    I've got one of those monitors, they are good. It really makes me think about how much electricity I have wasted, and how much I have saved!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].


    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    All of my A/V equipment is attached to one of those remote switches that means they're truly off rather than on standby (except my HTPC since that sleeps, using ~1 W).

    I also try not to turn it on when not actually using it. I do turn it on sometimes to listen to music whilst doing washing up, etc. though.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,526 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I hope you are calculating your savings from your meter and not from the monitor or you could be in for a nasty surprise.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • JamesMason_2
    JamesMason_2 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Molerat, what matters is engagement through technology. We need all households in the UK to have better data feeding into changing habits. It works :)

    Well done Mrs Mum!
  • JamesMason wrote: »
    Molerat, what matters is engagement through technology.


    Ah ! Nice bit of techno-babble......... totally ignoring Molerat's very valid point that those monitors are extremely inaccurate !
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    So if you turn everything off do you lose your settings ? Tv ? skybox ? Central heating/hot water programmer ? Etc
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    So if you turn everything off do you lose your settings ? Tv ? skybox ? Central heating/hot water programmer ? Etc
    Any TV recording box (e.g. Sky) shouldn't be turned off because it won't record anything. Nothing else that I have loses settings when turned off even for a week.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,526 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 July 2013 at 8:28PM
    JamesMason wrote: »
    Molerat, what matters is engagement through technology. We need all households in the UK to have better data feeding into changing habits. It works :)

    Well done Mrs Mum!
    My monitor tells me I used 79 units over the past 7 days and my meter shows 60, for the past 30 it shows 324, the meter gives 265 so way off in accuracy. Monitors can only be used as a very rough guide as to whether your energy use is going up or down, it is of no use in calculating any accurate values.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.