We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Free boiler

slinga
slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
I'm 65 in a few weeks.
We had our boiler moved and replaced 6 weeks ago.
Since then I've had many cold calls about free boilers etc etc.

I see there is a discussion thread but it's mainly about cavity wall insulation.

It's only the fact that I'm over 60 that may mean I qualify for a free boiler, I'm ok financially and have never claimed any dole or whatever.

Would I qualify for a free boiler and if so could I claim retrospectively???
It's your money. Except if it's the governments.

Comments

  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 9,080 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If you aren't on certain benefits or pension credit - no free boiler!!
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    That's fine.
    I've no problem with that.

    I don't have income at the moment just living off interest from savings and invested capital.

    I saw the over 60 criteria and wondered if that was sufficient.
    My old boiler was about 45 years old and still working.
    The guy who fitted the new one said if it lasts over 10 years I'll have been lucky.:D
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • slinga, I am in a similar boat to you, I am 67, the wife is 63 but we only receive our pensions from the government and we are not eligble for any benefits or allowances.
    If we spend £2000-£2500 to replace our 30 year old boiler it will make a huge hole in our savings, and yes, the boiler is in need of replacement.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I got three quotes before replacing mine.
    No one mentioned possibility of Free Boiler to me.
    Mind you they all recommended Worcester boilers which by the looks of it aren't on the scheme.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If your boiler was still working why did you replace it ?

    WB aren't the mutts nuts that they would have you believe
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

    You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • My boiler is 40 years old, I'm a single mum working 26 hours a week with 2 kids at school and I'm in receipt of child tax credits. When I saw this on MoneySaving Expert I was beyond excited!! However, I rang yesterday because I needed to check if they were looking at your Gross or Net income. Unfortunately it's your Gross income that they take into account. If it had been my Net income I would've qualified. Disappointed beyond belief. I could NEVER afford a new boiler on my income. :-( Good luck to anyone that gets one!
  • Ecodave
    Ecodave Posts: 223 Forumite
    Puppykitten - have you considered using the Green Deal to finance a new boiler? There are pitfalls to the scheme, but should be considered alongside other options. See the main thread for views, and the MSE guide for a balanced opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.