We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Quidco and New Gas/Elec customer

Mat_Lock
Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Can anyone tell me how it will work when using Quidco and getting a new gas/elec company.

I currently live in a flat where I don't need to pay for gas/elec bills as it's all included in our rent by the landlady.

Whenever I go through quidco to see what I can get it always says about switching companies but nothing about a brand new customer.

I am moving in to a flat where my girlfriend already lives and a friend, they are settling their final bill on the night before I move in. So I need to start a new bill. I want to take advantage of some cashback but how do I do it. As all quidco companies offer switching.

Help?
«1

Comments

  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    You are correct. Cashback is only available (from suppliers) for customers who switch.

    Frankly, if you can't trust your girlfriend to share any cashback with you when she switches when you move in you may want to reconsider moving in with her.

    Or if you're demanding the man of the house has the bills in his name then she should reconsider you moving in with her.
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    What !!! I didn't ask you to consider our relationship when I asked this question.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Since you are already in a deemed contract when moving into a new property, you are always switching. Even a new build will still have an existing supplier.
    So if you want to get cashback on this move then you need to register for an account with the existing supplier and submit opening reads. Once you've done that, you can commence a switch to your preferred supplier. You cannot switch until you have an account to switch from.
    This assumes that you are happy (and so are your co-tenants) for the bills and liability to be 100% in your name.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ok thanks macman, shame they don't do cashback for new customers then :(
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Frankly, if you can't trust your girlfriend to share any cashback with you when she switches when you move in you may want to reconsider moving in with her.
    What gave you the impression there was a problem in the first post? Sounds like you're the one with the trust issues...
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    I re-read the original post. I stand by my original reply.

    Macman's solution delays the cashback opportunity by a few weeks and also involves paying a deemed tariff for a while (plus it is of dubious legitimacy as the girlfriend is on an existing contract and is a continuing tenant).

    If a Quidco cashback deal is available and suitable then the girlfriend can apply for it here and now. The OP can be added to the contract as and when he moves in.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    There is no 'legitimacy' issue here. If the OP takes over the account in their name then they can legitimately use the cashback route. Or equally the g/f can switch whenerver she wishes via a cashback site.
    OP, as already explained, there is no such thing as a 'new' customer. You are switching from a deemed account. In terms of the cashback there is no difference. The day you register for an account, you can commence a switch.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    ...OP, as already explained, there is no such thing as a 'new' customer. ...

    The only thing I can think the OP means is he is not happy there is no cashback when he is forced onto a deemed contract.

    Perhaps the OP doesn't really understand cashback, how it came about, and why suppliers fund this out of their marketing budget.
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I understand cashback perfectly well thank you. I just wasn't aware the only cashback these suppliers offer is on "switching suppliers" not on new customers. I was seeking guidance on if there was any cashback from companies for NEW customers.

    Talk about muddying the waters.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Mat_Lock wrote: »
    I understand cashback perfectly well thank you. I just wasn't aware the only cashback these suppliers offer is on "switching suppliers" not on new customers. I was seeking guidance on if there was any cashback from companies for NEW customers.

    Talk about muddying the waters.

    Then perhaps explain what you understand about cashback, and what you mean by "NEW customers" especially as macman has previously tried to explain things to you in this respect.

    No muddying of any waters intended, just trying to help. But I do need to understand what you understand as your posts so far are not making much sense.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.