PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

OMG Help me please!!!! Washing Disaster

Options
OMG, DH has just bought himself a Schott NYC Hoodie, cost him £80 and has been saving for ages. I told him I'd give it a quick wash to get rid of the "new" smell. I put it on a 30C delicates wash, and I've just gone to get it out and it looks like it's covered in tissues :eek: I think it's the fake fur lining, but I've just shoved it back in the WM and am hoping he doesn't want to see it - I'll be able to give it a proper look in the morning. What should I do :confused: He is going to kill me :eek: Please help me :o :mad: :eek:
Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What was the instructions on it ?

For tissues in pocket I usually pop them in the drier on cool
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • KittyKate
    KittyKate Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see how a 30 deg delicates wash can have done that much damage - are you sure it didn't have any packing material/tissue in the pockets or something (or the reciept?). Can you sneak a look at the washing label?
  • anniebooklover
    anniebooklover Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    Hi SOMO1,

Don't panic just yet. Have you tried putting it through a rinse-only cycle? It may help to remove most of the tissue-washed look. (have you checked to see that your OH hasn't left a tissue in the pocket?? My DS does that ALL the time :mad:)

Did you check the label before you washed it? If it says its ok to wash on a delicate cycle then you really haven't done anything wrong and you should (quite rightly) be able to take it back to the shop where it was bought and complain.

If I were you, I would try the rinse-only cycle and if that doesn't help, come clean (sorry, no pun intended) with your OH and take it back to the shop tomorrow to complain.

Hope you get it sorted. x
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've sneaked a look at the label and it says handwash :eek: and a little triangle with a cross through it (not sure what that is :confused: ) I recognise the don't tumble dry sign though.
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • KittyKate
    Options
    Hmm - the triangle with a cross through means do not bleach.

I'd rinse it through with lukewarm clean water (handwash) to get the soap remnants out and take a look at any possible damage. If he only bought it recently, then I wouldn't worry - if it really is spoiled you should be able to get a refund/exchange with a bit of creative begging!
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Do you think when it's dried that sellotape might help puling off the white fluffy bits :confused:
  • anniebooklover
    anniebooklover Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    Triangle means do not bleach so you haven't done anything terrible SOMO1. Trying giving it a rinse-only or a cool dry cycle and see how it goes. If all else fails, take rolls of sellotape to it and see how you go.

btw my DS bought an NYC hoodie when we were in NY last year and he paid less than $20 so £80 seems a lot for a hoodie. That's not a criticism just an observation. DS's hoodie has been washed countless times and still looks like new.
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
  • KittyKate
    Options
    Well it's worth a try - I'd wrap it around my hand then pat it on a teatowel so it's not *too* sticky, then try patting it on a sample area round the back.

If you have one of those sticky lint roller things (or brushes) that would do the same thing I imagine.

You could always put some fine muslin/net round your hoover attachment with a hair bobble and try and suck the blighters off!
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm going back downstairs now - so I'll repost in the morning after I've tried some suggestions. DH never gets up before 10.00am on a Saturday so I'll have plenty of time.
  • savingsara_2
    savingsara_2 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    My sis in law found herself in a similar predicament recently with her son's new top. Why is it, the more expensive an item is the more difficult it becomes to launder :confused:

Anyway here is some care symbols, hth

http://www.cleaning101.com/laundry/fabricsymbols2.cfm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills