We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
High bill and faulty meter.
Hi everyone, I have just received a phone all from my energy company (npower) and they state that they installed a faulty meter back in 2010 (an eon meter). They say that they have wiped 18 months of the billing charge (gee thanks!). But the have still billed me for the last years worth of electricity. The bill works out to be £500 ish on top of my already higher than I'd like monthly payments. I didn't know the meter was faulty, and the meter has been read by meter inspectors on several occasions.
My question is...where do I stand in relation to this bill?
It really isn't my fault that eon installed a dodgy unit, and I get the brunt of a hefty bill. Which in this day and age we don't need.
Thanks for any help
Ian
My question is...where do I stand in relation to this bill?
It really isn't my fault that eon installed a dodgy unit, and I get the brunt of a hefty bill. Which in this day and age we don't need.
Thanks for any help
Ian
0
Comments
-
OK - n'power have applied the "No back-billing beyond 12 months" agreement to this demand
However the 12 month period count-back starts from the date on the adjusted bill they have yet to send you - A phone call advising you that they are adjusting past bills does not count
You are entitled to a detailed Bill that justifies the demand and a full explanation as to what error occured . When you get it look at your bills for the past 12 months to see that the demand makes sense
An 18 month old meter failure does not make a lot of sense - What would make sense if you are on an ECO7 meter, is that n'power have been chargeing your Day/Night units the wrong way round - You are entitled to know just in what respect the meter failed0 -
Hi everyone, I have just received a phone all from my energy company (npower) and they state that they installed a faulty meter back in 2010 (an eon meter). They say that they have wiped 18 months of the billing charge (gee thanks!). But the have still billed me for the last years worth of electricity. The bill works out to be £500 ish on top of my already higher than I'd like monthly payments. I didn't know the meter was faulty, and the meter has been read by meter inspectors on several occasions.
My question is...where do I stand in relation to this bill?
It really isn't my fault that eon installed a dodgy unit, and I get the brunt of a hefty bill. Which in this day and age we don't need.
Thanks for any help
Ian
Hi Ianho,
Would you like me to have a look at this for you?
You can contact me by email, if you can send me the details? (Address is on my profile page)
Best wishes,
Adam
“Official Company Representative"
I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile0 -
OK - n'power have applied the "No back-billing beyond 12 months" agreement to this demand
However the 12 month period count-back starts from the date on the adjusted bill they have yet to send you - A phone call advising you that they are adjusting past bills does not count
You are entitled to a detailed Bill that justifies the demand and a full explanation as to what error occured . When you get it look at your bills for the past 12 months to see that the demand makes sense
An 18 month old meter failure does not make a lot of sense - What would make sense if you are on an ECO7 meter, is that n'power have been chargeing your Day/Night units the wrong way round - You are entitled to know just in what respect the meter failed
Thank you for this, so let me get this straight, from my bill a month or so back they can only bill me from then?
The previous meter reading was done by an official meter reader.
And yes I'm still on Eco 7 and yes the meter readings are the wrong way around.0 -
nPower_company_representative wrote: »Hi Ianho,
Would you like me to have a look at this for you?
You can contact me by email, if you can send me the details? (Address is on my
Best wishes,
Adam
Email sent Adam. Thank you0 -
The 365 days back-billing calculation starts from the date on the bill on which the back-billing adjustments are made, not the date on an ordinary bill sent earlier
It's worth checking the adjustment from your past bills, as there have been cases in the past where suppliers have been a bit cavalier when deciding the dates when the adjustments start & stop.0 -
Thank you for this, so let me get this straight, from my bill a month or so back they can only bill me from then?
The previous meter reading was done by an official meter reader.
And yes I'm still on Eco 7 and yes the meter readings are the wrong way around.
So it's not a faulty meter-simply transposed readings.
Did you never read the meter yourself during those 18 months though?No free lunch, and no free laptop
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards