New car- accident damage? *Update*

Options
Bowling_4_Gold
Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
edited 7 July 2013 at 8:15PM in Motoring
Hi all,

Bought a new car (2006 Astra) a couple of weeks ago and having 'got to know it' a bit more, it's clearly been in an accident at some point in it's life.

It's been resprayed at some point at the bottom of the n/s door, as well as possibly the rear bumper (found some rogue masking tape when detailing it).

What do you guys think I should do? I'm concerned that there's going to be expensive issues in the not-to-distant future, which is why I want to act sooner rather than later. I bought it from an independent dealership. Have got a clear HPI report from hpi.co.uk. Please see pics below. Thanks.

ejsbk4.png

5ufvo3.png

119ywki.png
The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
Richard Branson

Comments

• OddballJamie
    OddballJamie Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Options
    I really hope it's not a 1.4 sxi sports hatch. I know someone who crashed one at the Nurburgring, had it fixed on the cheap and traded it.
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    I really hope it's not a 1.4 sxi sports hatch. I know someone who crashed one at the Nurburgring, had it fixed on the cheap and traded it.

Close! 1.6 sxi
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats body filler in the picture 2.
    I would get a magnet and see if it has any in structural areas, if it has it will fail the next mot.
    Be happy...;)
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    Little update. The dealer had it back for two days last week, as one tyre had a slow puncture and the car was pulling to the left.

He gave the car back to me saying that he wasn't going to do anything about the bodywork and that the car still pulls to the left, but that is normal and it's so you don't go into oncoming traffic (ha!).

He's basically said that I'm going to have to take him to court if I want anything else done to the car, and that there's no way I'd win the case.

What do you guys think I should do? I've noticed a discrepancy in the service history (19 month/15,000 mile gap) despite the description stating 'Full Service History'.

Are these two points grounds for rejecting the car? To me it's not as described (service history) and not of merchantable quality (pulling to the left).

Thanks all for your input.
    Richard Branson
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It shouldn't pull to the left but you can't buy a 7 year old car and expect it to have lead a perfect life.
  • GAZ237
    GAZ237 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    eschaton wrote: »
    It shouldn't pull to the left but you can't buy a 7 year old car and expect it to have lead a perfect life.

To be fair to the OP. You would expect it to be roadworthy.

Nothing you can do in regards to the paintwork though as you should of noticed when you inspected the car before buying it.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's had a smack, and from the photo's a cheap fix - But even so if the shunt had put just the tracking out, it wouldn't have cost £'s to adjust

So if it's pulling to the left there's the possibility that some of the suspension is damaged or the entire shell is twisted
    Get it into a good 4 Wheel alignment shop, (Not your local tyre fitters), for a check on all it's geometry, then hold the report under the dealers nose
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure