take new job closer to home more pay?

OK due to interview for a job which is 5k more a year and about half the distance as current role.

current co are massive and have loads of benefits etc and are flexible re time off (GF is also due to give birth in 3 weeks.) working from home. new co are alot smaller but is nearer and will save on fuel etc

Role seems to be similar but will be alot busier.

Just wondering if its worth taking given is nearer and more pay....

Comments

• Denning.
    Denning. Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Add up the value of benefits, have you been there for more than 2 years? Is the new company financially sound?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As above is the new company financially sound?

Would you also have flexi time? As you would be a newbie would you be entitled to paternity leave?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Try and put a financial value on the difference - eg fuel costs, subsidized lunches , childcare vouchers etc and work out what the weekly difference is in real terms (remember higher salary -you pay more tax) and then calculate how long it would take to achieve the same in your current job.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • spursnuk
    spursnuk Posts: 28 Forumite
    I've been in current job bout 7 months and entitled to pat leave. new co have been around since 2011 when they took over another co. would be roughly 200 month better off after all childcare costs etc
  • Denning.
    spursnuk wrote: »
    I've been in current job bout 7 months and entitled to pat leave. new co have been around since 2011 when they took over another co. would be roughly 200 month better off after all childcare costs etc

Pat leave above statutory entitlement? How much?
  • spursnuk
    2 weeks full pay
  • Denning.
    spursnuk wrote: »
    2 weeks full pay

That is the statutory amount. You have to work there for 26 weeks to get it. Even so, what is two weeks salary? I imagine the £200 a month will more than make up for it.

£200 a month extra does seem low to me, what with less petrol and £5k more salary.

You will save commuting time? Time to spend with your family.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

will you tell them about the forthcoming baby and paternity leave at interview?
  • spursnuk
    150 less in petrol and around 300 extra in wages a month after tax.(before childcare costs) 30 mins less drive
  • Denning.
    Surely, if you get the job you will have to serve notice of a month? You can get pat pay whilst on notice, so tell the gf to get a move on :P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure