Fitted wardrobes / Ikea PAX

Options
Hi all,

I am moving house soon to a new build that does not come with fitted wardrobes.
The house builder wants £300 to £500 per door for built in wardrobes.
I simply can't justify those prices when kitting out four bedrooms.

The depth of my alcoves is around 64cm, height is around 204cm and width between 110cm and 140cm.

The ikea PAX units come in sizes that don't reach to our ceiling (30cm gap on average) and I wasn't show if a good joiner would be able to enclose the top bottom and sides to make them appear fitted.

Anyone else went through this recently?

Paul
June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
September - BBQ toolbox

Comments

• scottishblondie
    scottishblondie Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 June 2013 at 10:55PM
    Options
    The Pax wardrobes come in 201cm tall which would only leave you 3cm on 204cm high ceiling? I have done this in my house as I got the builder to leave out the build in wardrobes (I wanted a different layout with wardrobes on 2 sides).

My ceiling is about the same height , and you can barely see the gap. You do have to assemble them upright though, as there isn't enough space to assemble them on the floor and stand them up.

If you do have a bigger gap though, a joiner should be able to box the top in no problem.
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    we also used these wardrobes in the taller size. previous poster is correct, you will do assemble them upright. our ceilings were slightly higher than yours and our builder filler in the top and sides. have to say they look great and 4 years on are still as good as the day they were fitted.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I fitted a pair of IKEA PAX wardrobes with my son. They are a brilliant bit of kit. Well designed and well made. They do benefit from being fixed to the wall. There are an excellent set of accessories to fit into them if required.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • geordiepaul2001
    Options
    As an update the height of my room is 232cm and the widths are 135cm and 128cm. Most flat pack stuff seems to be in 50cm / 100cm / 150cm / 200cm variants.

Not sure what to do as I don't want the room to look crap lol.
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • Gastines2
    Gastines2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Have used then many times as they do the very tall doors which I found difficult to source elsewhere. One tip, when fitting a run into a corner I always allow at least 50mm,more if poss, so that the door doesn't open against the wall.Fix a batten to the end wall and end of the carcass before fixing the robes to the wall.Impossible to do after. Allow a slight break back from the front edge to fit plasterboard infill. I do same at the top.I then fit cornice around and paper the showing end to match the room.This way they look really built in.Another tip, if papering the show end,fix the paper with overlap adhesive otherwise it will just peel off.
    An Ikea lover as the staff at the Southamptonbranch that I regularly use are helpful and cheerful.The returns policy,up to 90days,is brilliant and the bins with extra fittings/bolts and bits is a bonus. The prices are very competitive and I often pick up ideas just from looking at their layouts. The whole customer related service,including the restaurant is something that British stores sadly lackI just wish I had shares in the Company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure