When to book a uk caravan holiday

Options
I want to book a week away in a caravan somewhere like a haven park or park dean. (I know independent caravan sites can be cheaper, but I'm a single mum so will be on my own with a 3 and 5 year old, so want the convenience and security of having lots of facilities on site. Also, as I work in a school, I want to book in summer holidays which I don't believe newspaper deals allow you to do)

So, I've been browsing already for a 2014 summer holiday, and it is showing early booking money off deals. I was just wondering - should I book early to take advantage of these deals? Or will there be better deals later? Again, I don't really want to literally leave it to the last minute, as I want the security of choosing where and when, and I suspect the school summer holidays is when everything get books up.

Thanks-you for any tips or advice you can give!

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    It's a payoff, availability vs security. If you book it now with insurance, then any problems and the insurance pays out. It means you can book train tickets or whatever else you want to book/arrange knowing the holiday is safe. If you leave it late prices may raise or fall, you never know, but you may find the week you want becoming unavailable. Problem is *nobody knows for sure* - it could go either way. What's the value of having the full choice of dates and knowing your calendar this far ahead?

For me, I am terrible at booking long ahead - committing to a weekend this coming August is a big deal for me, so I would chance it and if the week wasn't available, make other choices. If you prefer certainties over flexibility, it would drive you nuts ;-)
  • CountingPennies
    CountingPennies Posts: 1,893 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In my experience, the sooner you book with Haven, the cheaper it is, unless you are booking outside of term times then you can get some good deals, but obviously those aren't guaranteed.

Also, if you book now, you have longer to pay it. I think Haven deposit at the minute is £75.

HTH
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Booking now or later ??? age old question . IMHO . Book now to get the best place . Book late to get the best price . You wont get the best place later they will have gone . You will be paying for whats left that no one else wanted early. Some independant site also have activities for nippers that wont rip your purse off you . Pool,park, close to the beach etc .. good luck .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • *Elphaba*
    *Elphaba* Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank-you all for your replies! In times gone by I would have been happier to go for a last minute deal, but with the kids I'd rather know exactly what I'm doing, where I'm going, and when.
    And yes, Paddyrg! That would drive me nuts! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport