Problems with EDF

Hello,

I hope someone can give me a little advice...
I have been using EDF at my previous address. Before we moved out we informed EDF about it, later we received the final bill and after we paid for it we received information that our account has been closed. It all seemed as it should but it was back in April.... Few days ago we received an automated message from EDF that there is an outstanding balance of about £150 which must be settled immediately. We've send an e-mail to EDF asking for explanation and got their reply which still was not very clear. We've send another e-mail asking for account statement as we wanted to investigate it further and now here all the fun starts... EDF customer service replied that they have looked at the account statement and it shows that we owe them £1498.38 :mad:

Have you got any tips on dealing with them ???
Please

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ask them to re-calc, and remind them they can only go back a year.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Forget making any further communications with EDF by phone or Email

WRITE a letter headed Complaint setting out the history of their unsubstantiated demands for money.
    Point out at that despite your request, they have failed to supply a proper bill detailed with dates and meter readings to justify their claim, and as till such time as they do, you do not owe them anything.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    To be fair, I don't think the OP has even attempted phoning yet.
    Always the first step to try. A lot can be resolved via a simple phone call.

But if that fails, then certainly send off a formal complaint in the post.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    Ask them to re-calc, and remind them they can only go back a year.

CK
    The year limit only applies in certain circumstances.

As the supplier is having to rebill what was a closed account, then those circumstances may not apply. The OP needs to get the full facts from the supplier first. :)
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    The year limit only applies in certain circumstances.

As the supplier is having to rebill what was a closed account, then those circumstances may not apply. The OP needs to get the full facts from the supplier first. :)

In 9/10 circumstances it will apply, though :)

Supposing OP has been fair with their readings, this bill should be unsubstantiated, however it needs to be fully investigated by EDF first, with full cooperation of OP.

CK
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family