How to cancel a transaction

I have won and paid for a item on ebay (paid via Paypal).

Further discussion with the seller has brought to light that the item is unsuitable (wrongly described) and he wishes to refund me. What is the best way to achieve this safely?

Could/should he instigate a cancellation (and how) or do I start the process (and how)?

Comments

• tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    They need to cancel the transcation and you'll get a response from eBay resolution centre where you agree to cancel the transcation. You should get your money refunded back into your PayPal (not sure on timescales though).
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for that and he has started the process, however eBay is warning me:
    You should only accept the cancellation request if you haven't paid yet or you've already received your refund from the seller. If you haven't received your refund, contact the seller
    How should the refund be done - via Paypal or eBay, and do I initiate it or does he?
  • No_Eye_Deer
    No_Eye_Deer Posts: 573 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2013 at 8:08AM
    fifeken wrote: »
    Thanks for that and he has started the process, however eBay is warning me:

How should the refund be done - via Paypal or eBay, and do I initiate it or does he?

They need to log into their Paypal account, find the transaction and refund you from there.

Don't agree to the cancellation before you get your money back.
    You have 7 days to respond to the cancellation request, make sure you have the refund before that (or it will time out in their favour).

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you've paid you want a refund. That's via Paypal, no disputes, no cancellations. Seller just needs to go to Ebay page, click on Paypal transaction, find the refund button, click that, follow the refund through and that's it.

Then the seller can 'cancel the transaction' via Ebay and you just have to agree to that. The most important part for you is the refund which is very straightforward.
  • fifeken
    All sorted. Email received from Paypal to say refund received and I can see the transaction when I log in.

I've now agreed to the cancellation on eBay so all seems good.

Thanks for the advice.
  • fifeken
    fifeken wrote: »
    . . . . so all seems good.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Paypal have now put a Temporary Hold on the refund. Is this anything I need to worry about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure