any way to fast stooze into a mortgage...?

Stupid question perhaps and I'm guessing "just slow stooze it" is the right answer, but I was wondering if anyone had managed to convince Britannia/Co-op to take a lump sum overpayment from a credit card, and have it show as a purchase on the cc statement?

That 16 month 0% card with Tesco looks like a bit of a winner, especially as I overpay the mortgage anyway so could just pay say five grand off with the card then build a cash pot to pay the card off later. (or BT it and pay more off the mortgage again...)

Replies

• haycornshaycorns Forumite
    356 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    i'm leead to believe you can buy sterling travellers checks rom a tesco travel shop at 1.2% % which ount as a cash purchase. These can be paid into a current account , then you can overpay you r mortgage
  • pjreadpjread Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cheers good thought - has anyone done this, isn't paying travellers cheques into a uk account a bit weird?

TBH I've never used travellers cheques so I expect I'm wrong!
  • argomattargomatt Forumite
    272 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I used travellers cheques from M&S paid into my UK bank to do exactly this. I had never used travellers cheques before either, but nobody seemed surprised I was doing it or even questioned it.

Unfortunately M&S no longer do travellers cheques, but having a go with the Tesco ones is on my list for the future.
    DFBX2016 #024
    Target = £10804
    Paid = £2434
  • haycornshaycorns Forumite
    356 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    pjread wrote: »
    Cheers good thought - has anyone done this, isn't paying travellers cheques into a uk account a bit weird?

TBH I've never used travellers cheques so I expect I'm wrong!

I've done £8500 this week! If you don't mind looking a bit of an idiot signing all the cheques at the counter its fine.

If you order your cheques online then thy send you lots of little ones. In store you can sk for £100's. I did moine in 4 batches.
    Oh and you have to wait for them to clear too.
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    haycorns wrote: »
    i'm leead to believe you can buy sterling travellers checks rom a tesco travel shop at 1.2% % which ount as a cash purchase. These can be paid into a current account , then you can overpay you r mortgage

Does cash attract interest immediately even on a 0% card?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • edited 9 November 2013 at 2:04PM
    YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 November 2013 at 2:04PM
    jimjames wrote: »
    Does cash attract interest immediately even on a 0% card?
    Usually, yes, but the Tesco credit card treats travellers cheques bought from them as a purchase (for interest purposes, although there's a 'cash limit' applicable). This means up to 51 days interest free normally, but up to 18 months 0% on the right Tesco card.
  • stevemcolstevemcol Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Yorkshire Boy, just interested; I haven't Stoozed for ages. From these discussions, I'm guessing there is no such thing as a super balance transfer card anymore? Like the old Egg Money for example?
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Senior Ambassador
    5.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Senior Ambassador
    There are a few around but the fees are quite high
    http://www.stoozing.com/credit-cards/super-balance-transfers.php
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals